Why doesn’t he want to work on things when I apologized for everyone and promised to work on myself?

Anonymous
I apologized to my ex for hurting him and not trying as hard as I should have in the relationship. He said when we broke up he realized he liked me more than he thought, and that for the entire month after our breakup he was a mess and started smoking week. Now after apologizing in hopes of working things out with him, he still doesn’t want to be with me. I’m so sad I don’t know what to do. He asked if I’d been with anyone since we haven’t been together (which I haven't), not sure why he’d even want to know? And then he said he hasn’t been with anyone but that he can’t commit back to a relationship right now. Why ask those questions in the first place? I’m so lost and sad
3 mo
Smoking weed* oops
2
1