Was my ex wrong for getting with another girl after asking me to get back together even though I told him no?

Anonymous
So me and my ex slept together for months after we broke up. It was a total of about 4 months. I was in love with him and I continued to sleep with him because I broke up with him but regretted it. I was convinced that sex was enough for me until i eventually realized it wasn’t. So I told him that I didn’t want to keep sleeping together and I explained why. I made it very clear that my reason was (very specifically) because I didn’t want to keep hurting myself by continuing to sleep with someone I realize I was still in love with and I also suspected he was sleeping with other women. I was not mad at HIM for MY decision to keep sleeping with him. Almost an entire month passed and I intended to never speak to him again but he texted me and asked to make up. I told him that I wasn’t his personal hoe and that if he was looking to have sex to call someone else. He went on to say that he loved me and that he needed me in his life. He asked to meet and we did. During that meetup he got into an stare down with a guy for glancing at me and tried to kiss me repeatedly because he wanted the guy to know who I was with. I of course didn’t want to kiss because I didn’t want to kiss someone I wasn’t in a relationship with. He got very upset about that and asked to get back together and even cried and promised to change. I was surprised by the sudden change and I said I would “think about it.” We weren’t actually together but we did go back to kissing, having sex again, and going on dates. But out of nowhere he ghosted me and I eventually found out that he had got into another relationship. I tried to understand his point of view since we weren’t actually “together” but I couldn’t help but feel like he knew that he would hurt me by coming back. If I wasn’t what he wanted why did he do that to me? I also know that we weren’t together but wanting to be with someone “better” doesn’t warrant playing with my feelings until he came across that. I feel like he was SO wrong
3
1