Should I reach out to him, I feel like a bit of an idiot to but at the same time I don’t want him to think that if he's just scared we can sort it?

Anonymous
Just broke up with someone I’ve known 20 years & dated for the last 5 months. We both have daughters & we spent a lot of time together as a family & talked about our future (moving in etc). Which was all initiated by him. He even told his daughter (4 years) that my daughter (2 years) was like her sister now, which she loved. A couple of weeks ago he started being really distant & pushing me away. text me in the middle of the night saying he is really sorry he wants to apologise to me & it’s not my fault he is just really stressed & has a lot on his plate & this is how he deals with things, by retreating from everyone & he will be better soon. Then I heard less & less from him & when I spoke to him he told me on the weekend he had been out with his mates & then gone out for dinner with his family. Seen as he invited me to EVERYTHING with his family before I felt it was infact something to do with me so I asked him & he said he is really sorry & that it’s nothing to do with me I’m amazing & the best person he has ever been with but he doesn’t feel like he is ready to settle down 100% now & it’s not to do with going out with other people but the responsibility & feelings that comes with it & because my daughter was falling in love with him & getting attached he didn’t want to break another little girls heart like he did his little girl by not being able to keep her mum (she cheated on him & left). I just said I’m obviously gutted because I thought we were on the same page & clearly I’ve been a bit naive because I thought he felt the same as me, & I don’t think he should see it as a bad thing that my 2 yr old fell in love with him & that his daughter isn’t heart broken & that she loves him but I said thanks for being honest & that he deserves to be happy when he lets himself be happy & I hope he finds what he is looking for. I haven’t heard anything from him since. 6 days in.
2
0