I got out of an abusive relationship, but why do I still feel drained from it?

Anonymous
I was only with this guy for a few months when he started to be verbally abusive then physically. It started as shoves and escalated to more aggressive hits. A few days ago we were having a calm debate, at least I was calm. I always tried not to debate with him because he doesn’t know how to without being obnoxiously loud and starts name calling etc. This debate was no different and out of frustration I told him to stop talking to me. He throws a tantrum and hits me. Telling me not to disrespect him and not only that, he practically killed me. Busted a vessel in my eye, busted lip, and he even choked me and suffocated me with my shirt and I’m claustrophobic and I also couldn’t breathe on top of not believing what I was enduring, I just sat there and let him as I broke down. Long story short, fortunately I got away after that incident and had enough sense to stay away this time. I blocked his social media’s, phone, email but even after a few days of ending it and being away from him for good, I still feel drained from it.
4
1