Guys, why did my boyfriend break up with me if he said I mean a lot to him and he cares about me?

Anonymous
Guys, I need your opinion please.
I am a 39 year old female. My boyfriend (25 y/o) of 9 months broke up with me last week. He was my colleague but based in another country, hence we had an LDR. I knew from the start that he had a girlfriend of 5 years, but he was very persistent and our mutual attraction was too much for us to resist. I noticed as the months went by in our relationship that he never talked about his girlfriend, and I was told by mutual friends that he rarely met up with her, even if they live near each other. He never made me feel like I was just his other girl. He was very honest with me, and spent more time on me than the girlfriend. He messaged and called me regularly. We not only had sexy times, but also emotional conversations. We also have a pet name for each other. He was planning on coming to my country to see me, but then the pandemic happened.

He broke up with me because I told our common friend how serious our affair was, and this common friend sort of scolded him about the complicated situation he was in. It became too much for him so he decided to end it with me. He said that I mean a lot to him and he cares about me, but he can't keep on with our relationship because he's hurting us both. Never did he mention that he loved the girlfriend and that he was guilty of cheating.
I think he weighed a lot of factors when he made the decision - long distance, financial aspect because he has some family financial problems (he lives with his parents), and his long-term relationship.
I tried breaking up with him several times before but he wouldn't agree that's why I was shocked that now he wants to end it.

As a guy, what do you think really pushed him to make that decision?
1 y
Also, why do you think he stays in a relationship with his longtime girlfriend if he's no longer attracted and in love with her?
And him ignoring me now, does that mean he's still hurting and affected by the breakup, or he just wants to forget me? He hasn't blocked me
5