Why would a man get involved with someone new when his heart belongs to someone else?

Anonymous
My (now ex) boyfriend of six months got out of a two-year relationship one year before we started dating. There were signs he wasn’t over her, but we discussed this early on and he felt confident moving forward. It took a year and a half for me to get over a five year marriage, so I wanted to be patient and give our relationship a chance because he was good to me and we were happy together and I know healing can be messy. One night he started crying to a song and after I made him tell me why he admitted it brought back memories of her. That was the last straw for me as he definitely has unresolved feelings, but he also has feelings for me and cares for me (he has never said I love you but shows through his actions how much he cares). As I told him I deserved better and didn’t want to see him anymore he started crying again. I feel that is extremely unfair as I was the one he was hurting by getting involved with me when he still can’t get over his ex (he admitted he didn’t think he’d ever be over it but doesn’t want to be alone forever). I don’t think any man or woman wants to be second choice, but it hurts my heart because I love him and it also hurt to see him cry as I broke up with him. Why would he cry when he was in the wrong? Why would he get involved with me knowing his heart still belongs to someone else? Will he ever be able to resolve those feelings or do some men just pretend and move on with their lives with a woman who will never measure up to their ex?
1
1