Im 44, my son is 17, and he punched my wife 42F and I'm now divorcing her, Please read additional details, but am I a bad father here?

Anonymous
I feel like I've failed as a father I want to know how I make this up to my kids.

so I just got home from work, my wife came out on to the driveway to talk to me. as I was getting out of my car my son comes out the door and he looked beyond pissed, he yelled at his mother and when she turned around he punched her in the face. at this point I ran up to him and hold him back. I don't know why but looking at him I could tell something really bad had happened, so I gave my keys to my wife and told her to go for a drive while I sort this out.

after she leaves I let go of my son and he is crying. we go inside and my daughters (15F, 10F) are waiting for him, I then see my younger daughter, she has a red hand-print on her face and it clicks, my wife had hit her. now I'm pissed off. I comfort my kids and find out that my wife has been doing this since my son was little. I worked a lot and was absent and my wife had made them afraid to tell anyone. I feel awful that I never noticed and that I wasn't there to protect them. the more they talked the more hatred I began to feel towards my wife.

I texted my wife that I was divorcing her (i know telling her by text was cruel but I don't care and I didn't want to see her). She's staying somewhere else now and I'm sorting out the legal stuff. I don't care for her at all anymore. but what can I do to make this up to my kids, especially my son (who according to my daughters has been taking the brunt of it and protecting them for years)?
0
1