Does it bother you if your partner talks about his/her ex?

Does it bother you if your partner talks about his/her ex? Why or why not?

Personally, it doesn't bother me. My boyfriend was with his last ex-girlfriend for 3 years. I just see it as a different chapter in his life. I realize that she was a significant person in his life and I don't feel threatened by that, nor do I feel like he needs to pretend like there's a 3 year gap in his life where she used to be (as if she didn't exist or they were never together). I like to know about my boyfriend's past because I like to know the things that have shaped him into the person he is today.

What do you think?

22

Most Helpful Guy

• It's obviously wrong to deny or ignore your partners past. But they also have to be able to put it aside and make space for new things. So there is a time and place to talk about it (and the bed isn't one e.g.).

What Guys Said 1

• Yess! I would get very angry. I'd like to know, but only some things. It makes me feel very bad when I picture my girl with somebody else. I just cannot stand that.

What Girls Said 2

• I am with you - I think being able to discuss your partners past is really important to understanding who they are and having a healthy relationship with them. However I think it is important that these discussions are not a constant topic or that they don't compare one to their ex all the time.

• I don't really mind as long as he doesn't compare me with her.I hate comparison tho...