Why did my boyfriend cheat on me?

I've been seeing my boyfriend for a year and a half and recently found out he was cheating on me. Our relationship has had many ups and downs due to the fact that he is still married and has been separated for 9 years or so. I've never met his parents or his two kids. That has always been an issues for me as he is my first priority and I don't think I am his. We always have a good time when we are together and he's always telling me how beautiful I am and how great I look, and the sex is fantastic. In fact, he's always picking on me because I always want him...so there is definitely no lacking in that department. I found a number in his phone that he was texting, as I had suspected something was up. I asked him and he denied. Fed up I stormed out telling him I was going to contact her and let her in on the fact that I existed. She texted me back saying she'd been seeing him for over 10 years and she's been trying to walk away. Yes...she is the woman he cheated on his wife with. His reasoning - he doesn't know. He's come back begging me to give him another chance and work things out. He said he's in love with me and made a huge mistake and would never do it again. I also had the wife calling me saying he's been sleeping with her as well, but he said she's lying because he told her he wants a divorce and that he's in love with me. Believe me my trust is shot, but we are trying to work things out. Every now and again I find myself thinking about him touching or talking to another woman the way he does with me and it just makes me sick. But I'm hoping that our love for each other is strong enough to get through this. I can't help but ask myself why he did this if he's always telling me how great I am. I just don't get it.
Why did my boyfriend cheat on me?
Add Opinion