If your significant other told you he/she cheated on someone in a past relationship?

like when he was a whole lot younger, would you leave him/her?

Somehow you learn he/she cheated on a gf/bfhe had say 8-10 years ago, would that make you want to leave him/her? What if h/she expressed regret or was sincerely apologetic about it?

How would you react?

94

Most Helpful Girl

• Eight - ten years is a long time, and people can change. Especially when that long ago, we were still relatively young and finding out what it was even like to be dating.

I don't approve of cheating but the fact is that it does happen.

What's more important is how the person changes (or doesn't) after the fact. Have they realized their mistakes, and try to be a better person? Or do they not care so much, and continue to act freely when they're supposed to be committed?

I might be a little cautious if I knew the guy I was dating had cheated, but I wouldn't leave him right away if he seemed to regret doing it or could acknowledge that he should not have. I'd like to think that people can change and mature and be better than that, but who knows I guess. Relationships are largely about trust and knowing that might shake my trust a little bit at first. Only a little bit though, like I said... we're all young once and we all do stupid shlt. It's how we learn and figure stuff out.

What Girls Said 8

• If I've been having doubts or suspicions of him possibly cheating on me before he told me, I'd be really afraid because it would create more doubts. Would I break up with him? probably not, I'm not the type to act preemptively on this sort of thing but I'm sure there are exceptions depending on how I feel.

But if I'm confident about the relationship and I've had no doubts, it wouldn't be very relevant. 8-10 years is a LONG time. Literally (assuming he'd be my boyfriend's age) he'd be 10 :| hahaha. It would be irrelevant.

• If your significant other told you he/she cheated on someone in a past relationship like when he was a whole lot younger, would you leave him/her? Yes

Somehow you learn he/she cheated on a gf/bfhe had say 8-10 years ago, would that make you want to leave him/her? Yes

What if h/she expressed regret or was sincerely apologetic about it? Doesn't change what they did

How would you react? Dump not much on the reaction otherwise

• No, that wouldn't make me leave someone. Just because someone has cheated once doesn't mean that they cheat on every partner they have.

• I would not trust them, at all. I live by the once a cheater, always a cheater.

I ask that question right up front at the beginning of dating. So if he kept that from me, yes, I would strongly consider leaving him for blatantly lying to me. That would be a big red flag to me.

Yes, people can change & feel regrettful. However, there are some behaviors that are more difficult for people to change than others. Lying and cheating are two of the big ones. People usually just find them easier to do & find that they get better at it.

No thanks, I'll pass.

• no. I'd be sad. I'd have to factor that into how I perceive him. and I'd want to understand. I wouldn't just up and leave. that's immature, imo.

• no. he trusted me enough to tell me and anyway, that's a long time ago.

• I would dump him. I don't need that.

• If it was that long ago then I would think he would have changed and if he did change you probably could tell. You might be little put off by it but it was so long ago and why loose a great guy now...especially if its way back then. lol.

What Guys Said 4

• No, I wouldn't leave them for that. First of all it was a long time ago, Second of all I don't know the circumstances of why they cheated. I am a firm believer that it's reasonable to cheat in certain situations. Before you think am messed up, let me explain myself. In the majority of the time people cheat because they feel they have been cheated of a good relationship. If your partner is being an ass and no longer shows that he/she cares about the relationship and you've warned them, then cheating on them isn't that wrong, since you have been emotionally cheated yourself. I don't agree with it and still think it's a d*** move, but if am in a relationship and I start neglecting my partner and she cheats on me because of my actions, I wouldn't break it off with her since it was ultimately my own fault and her cheating on me was a cry for attention.

• There would be some serious trust issues there. Honesty is always good, but that may just set the standards for any relationship.

• People can change it doesn't happen often but it can happen so I would have to do some thinking

• nope, unless she's a well known slut, then id have no respect for her...