What does the word 'Theory' mean to you?

I'm just curious what people think when they hear that word.

I'm thinking in regards to science btw

1311

Most Helpful Girl

• a rational idea that can be used as principles of an explanation (and/or prediction) for some type of incident/event/phenomenon that has been proposed with reasonable arguments (and/or has been tested or put in to use) to prove it's accuracy.

• What do you think of Knowmeyourselfs answer?

• Its called the LAW of gravity, not the 'theory' of gravity. Sorry, I just had to point that out.

A theory is an idea supported by some evidence. But not with solid evidence to prove it is a fact.

• ignore that. posted in the wrong place.

What Girls Said 12

• an idea that can be supported but not proven.

• I percieve the word as an explanation that is backed up by solid evidence and to be honest when I hear thing like Theory of Evolution or Theory of Gravity I usually take them for fact if I think the evidence that supports them is valid and unbiased.

• Being a science nerd =P To me theory means a hypothesis that has been supported by experimentation but not enough so to be a fact or law.

• An idea that has some evidence to back up it's possible claim.

• a hypothesis that is supported by evidence yet it may still not be true.

• What is a hypothesis then? In your opinion?

• a rational idea/guess that tries to explain where something came from, what caused it, what's gonna happen and why will it happen.

• I think of music. And all those years of piano lessons I had that I had to do music theory... ugh.

• something that has evidence but not enough to be considred a law

• an idea (supported by evidence) as to why certain things are the way they are.

• It has solid evidence yes.

• but not all the evidence needed, for it to be a fact. *****

• it means it's not proven

• But supported by tons of evidence

• the creation of humans and the world is science, so all theories regarding it can be and should be under the science umbrella

• Science: a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws

Where are the facts and truths in creationism?

• A man-made perspective on a certain matter, that has become a fact. To me, it's just an opinion, not a fact.

• interesting

• "So do you consider gravity an opinion, not a fact?"

Whoa, I thought the same thing before reading that comment lol.

• Haha I guess I'm horrible with words. Well, I believe it started as an idea, that was supported by evidence, and ended up as a theory. A theory isn't a fact, in my opinion. There are several theories that could fit in, but none is a fact.

• A class room where you study.

What Guys Said 11

• It depends on the context. If it's not scientific, then theory generally means "hypothesis". An idea as to how something happened or what exactly happened.

In the realm of the sciences, then theory means the most likely (given the abundance of evidence) explanation for something. It carries with it the idea that it has been tested in a variety of ways, and maybe refined, but is now as good an explanation as all the evidence will allow.

• It's a set of tentative assumptions made about how things work, that help guide exploration and inquiry into further conceptual development and understanding.

• Well, to me it means Music Theory and things like that - the mechanics behind the effigy. But that's not what you mean, hahaha.

I agree with the other users that its a hypothesis with evidence; but I don't respect the allegation that it has to be logical, nor supported by any reasonable evidence. A theory can be bad, you know. You can have an illogical theory with poor evidence.

• a valid and scientifically proven established idea used to explain something. However, it can still be changed because a theory is not a law or principle.

• Theory. An idea that is plausible to one or more people that has yet to be proven.

The theory of evolution may never be truly proven.

As opposed to a "law" which shows proof every time, like the law of gravity.

• A plausible explanation for a certain phenomenon that is yet to be proven.

• I can't seem to translate the word into the right form to tell you what it means.

Can you possibly give me an English word that means theory as well.

• a possible explanation

• A plausible, well thought out and presented idea.

• Something that is totally unproven but is still taught or spoken of as though it were scientific or mathematical fact.

Example: The theory of evolution, the theory of UFO's, etc.

(As opposed to something like the law of gravity - gravity is a law because it can be proven; which, in turn, is because there is evidence.)

• You can't prove gravity.

• "SPOKEN OF AS THOUGH it were scientific or mathematical fact."

Right - in the realm of science or mathematics. But not everything that's real falls into a science category or a mathematical category. I believe that the Run-Shoot offense exists in football. is that science or mathematics? Neither. is it a theory? No. It does exist.

• Religion is neither science or mathematics. Belief in God is based faith which I think is different than theory.

Although, I suppose science can back up religion. For example, The Bible is backed up by archeological evidence. In my opinion, archeology is a science because it follows the scientific method. So, one could argue that there is scientific evidence confirming The Bible.

• An observed phenomena that exists and lays the foundational background for an applied science. EX: thermodynamics. We know HOW it works, just not completely WHY it works, because WHY is answered by philosophy.