Treat her like a princess.

No actual question here. Instead, a word of advice. Who am I to be giving advice? Well I'm just someone who is learning from a mistake, so I thought I'd share it before you make the same one.

About a year ago I started dating a girl, let's call her Ms. X. We only dated for 3 months, but she was amazing. So good to me. The only problem was I was still hung up on my ex, Ms. Y, who had broken my heart almost a year prior to me meeting Ms. X. I was seriously trying to move on with my life, and I genuinely cared about this girl, she wasn't a rebound. But after about 3 months her and I agreed I wasn't ready for a relationship, and we broke up. About a month later, I coincidentally ran into Ms. Y, and we got to talking and a few weeks later we got back together after being apart for 14 months. The first time we dated she was the girl of my dreams. This time around, she treated me like absolute worthless sh*t for 3 months before we broke up.

Me and Ms. X broke up in January, and yet here I am in October missing her. Bad. The problem was I didn't appreciate her fully at the time I was with her. I didn't give her my full heart. And my advice? Guys, if you have a girl (or a guy), and girls, if you have a guy (or a girl), who treats you good, who makes you happy, who you enjoy being around, who you have fun with, who you laugh with, who you care about, then appreciate them every moment. Show them you appreciate them, tell them you appreciate them. Be good to them. Don't be looking for the next best thing, because the grass is not always greener on the other side. If you take proper care of the grass you already have, it will be greener than any other. Don't make the same mistake I have. Be good to the one you're with. You are one of the lucky ones.

58

Most Helpful Girl

• "Guys, if you have a girl (or a guy), and girls, if you have a guy (or a girl), who treats you good, who makes you happy, who you enjoy being around, who you have fun with, who you laugh with, who you care about, then appreciate them every moment. Show them you appreciate them, tell them you appreciate them. Be good to them."

Words to live by... If only more guys thought like you instead of falling back on the "well I guess I'll just be a jerk now" idea. I always try to be good to my boyfriends, because I hope that they will return the favor and treat me well too. However, some people will still treat you like crap regardless. And unfortunately it makes some good guys/girls go bad. But there's a better solution... kick them to the curb and wait for somebody who will treat you as well as you treat them! I finally have a wonderful boyfriend who treats me well. And because of that we get along great and we make each other happy. I appreciate every single second I have with him :)

Have you ever tried getting back together with Miss X?

• I'm happy to hear you found someone wonderful and who treats you well! Ms. X pretty much hates me. We broke up on the premise that I wasn't ready for a serious relationship, and then a month later I started dating Ms. Y again so she obviously, and understandably, wasn't too happy about that. I actually FB messaged her a few days ago and she said she's over everything and no longer angry about it all, but she has no desire to have me in here life. She also moved about 5 hours away for school.

• Thanks! It sucks that things didn't work out with Miss X. But at least you learned a valuable lesson. I hope another nice girl comes along for you soon :)

• Me too. Thank you :)

What Girls Said 4

• Damm...dude thank you for that..ive been acually thinking of that latliee...right know my boy friend isn't with me...but every time I'm here answering questions bout relationships makes me feel like how I wish he was her next to me help me answer some questions the best way him and I can...but then again wen he is here we argue like cats and dogs but after we stay quiet for a sec...i realize I never want to loose him and wen I'm alone I am always wishing he was here that's why after our little fights...i tell him I'm sorry and that I love him...thank you for that amazing advice...

• I am sorry you had to learn from a mistake. My boyfriend just read this and told me I had to come read it. so thank you

• Very well put, thanks for taking the time to share this. Maybe you won't ever find someone quite like Ms. Y, but it's a long alphabet and there are a lot of places in the world worth exploring, so I wish you the best :)

By the way, Sic Transit Gloria?

• Thank you. And yes, Sic Transit Gloria :D

• But I like how it flips the perspective. Guys are always blamed for taking advantage of girls, but girls do take advantage of guys too. It's just not talked about as much.

• unless it's GAG...then every other comment is confusion from the opposing sex :P I like the story too

• Thank you very much :-)

What Guys Said 8

• In my experience, 'treat her like a princess' has been a disaster.

Your story suggests 'breaking up with a girl who treats you well to run after a bitch' is a bad idea.

Of course, Ms. X followed your current advice, and it didn't work at all.

Probably better advice, for all of us, would be 'have self-respect, don't allow yourself to be treated like dirt, and be a good partner to people who treat you well'.

• I suggest resubmitting this as a story/article as it will probably get deleted since it isn't asking for a question.

• Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

• Thanks for the story.

• Way to go man. Feed right into that princess syndrom all the girls have. Reality check girls. Your not special and you don't "deserve" anything for just being a girl. Suck it up and pitch in and take care of yourself.

• Um...he wasn't just talking to the men. He told girls to treat guys good as well. Way to only read the title instead of the actual post.

• Thanks for the tips man, I appreciate it.

• I agree with you. Though sometimes it takes time to realize and fully accept the person you live treats you like crap, because you try so hard to make them feel good about it all and inconsciously make excuses for their behavior.

Just ask yourself regularly what you do for the other person and what that other person does for you. And also ask yourself if you are spending so much time worrying about that other person's feelings and how she or he might react about anything and everything.

Abusive relatiinships are often hard to see and only obvious after they end. Love is blind for the best but also for the worst.

• Amen, & I am doing just that. Sometimes you have to find out the hard way but you realize once someone takes you for granted, or treats you like crap, you have to get rid of them & don't look back. Most importantly don't fall for their phoney games or you could lose the one person who does treat you great.

I"m just glad I made the right choice, I haven't been this happy & content in a long time.