My boyfriend is still scared with his ex girlfriend, advice?

My boyfriend is still scared or intimidated with his ex.. his ex verbally abused him in the past.. and they had a son together... I tried to support him to gain custody of his son again but we ended up arguing.. he said he doesn't want anything to do with his ex again... for the reason he is afraid of being verbally abused again..and his family to be verbally abused and humiliated by the girl again..just like what she did in the past... I don't know what to think or what to do about him being scared... Should I get mad?.. should I understand him?.. Is this normal?.. should I be worried? does this mean he is not over her yet?.. I can really tell.. he is so damn scared of her.. and worried about what she is gonna say... Its crazy.

21

Most Helpful Girl

• You can't fight battles for him. It's agood idea to be sensitive towards his fears but encourage him to stand up to her. Hold his hand and play referee. Assert your dominance as the girlfriend, assure him that so long as you're around she can't hurt him again because you'll mess her up. Even if you can't really. It could be the boost of security he needs.

What Guys Said 1

• My ex girlfriends boyfriend is scared of me and she's the one who verbally abused me! LOL. He has a lot more to be afraid of in that relationship than for me to kick his ass.

What Girls Said 1

• Emotional abuse is something that is hard to get over, harder than physical or verbal and he is having trouble with it, as anyone would. Don't get mad at him, that is exactly what his ex would do. He needs time and patience as well as for him to take responsibility for his recovery.