My girlfriend broke up with me a few days ago and unfriended me on FB. Does this mean anything?

My girlfriend broke up with me a few days ago and unfriended me on FB. It was nothing within our relationship that caused the breakup, but she was getting pressure from her family not to be with me (long story on why they didn't approve) and was so stressed from this pressure and felt that I deserved to be with someone whose family would approve. Anyway, last night, she requested to be my friend on FB again (I accepted), and today, she "liked" a comment I made. She had already changed her status back to "single," though.

I know social media really doesn't mean much, but I'm not sure what to think. It's one thing when the relationship ends because you're fighting or someone cheated or some other negative thing within the relationship itself, but when both people still had strong feelings for each other, and one person called it quits because of something outside of the relationship (and yes, I know how it looks with her family not approving, though they'd really never gotten to know me), it feels different.

Any advice?

An update since this morning: without any initiation on my part, she has texted me that she's sorry for the way she treated me and for being insensitive. Not sure if that's in regards to the breakup (she said she couldn't talk to me because it was too hard) or something else. Right now, I'm sitting on the text, not sure how to reply.

30

Most Helpful Girl

• She still has feelings, but her family probably looks at her Facebook, so she put "single" to appease them..but I will tell you, if I was with someone and my family didn't approve, but I truly loved the person, there is no way I would end the relationship just because the family didn't approve. That's just me, there is no way in hell I would let my family make that decision for me. If they don't accept my partner, who is part of me, then see ya! Obviously there is something more going on there with her family unit and they have most of the control. If she truly felt for you, nothing would stop her from being with you. Just keep that in mind.

• And it is something I'm keeping in mind. I'm very conflicted right now because of how I feel about her (and I'm sure how she feels about me), but even if something did work out right now, would it happen again?

• Exactly! When parents don't approve of a relationship, it is hard for them to overcome it. Not saying it won't happen, but the odds are not good. Sit on that text for a few days, its not going anywhere. Respond when you have a clear head, if ever. She made her choice, now she has to deal with it. Until she stands up to her parents and tells them she wants to be with you, than there really is no point in even talking about anything, it will only make you hurt more.

What Girls Said 2

• so sorry for your break up I'm in one right now maybe you could help me with my question (please). sounds to me like she could possibly be rethinking her idea. id say give her space let her miss u, so she has time to realize that if she loves you it doesn't matter what her family thinks.

• She probably unfriended you to get you out of her mind since the break-up was more her family's idea and not hers. She re-friended you because she wants to get back on good terms and be friends, which is why she probably liked your comment. Definitely don't message her and be like are we back or anything because that's just gonna push her away, if she talks to you, answer, you can start FRIENDly conversations but keep it at a friend level. If she wants you back, she'll let you know that she can't listen to her family and wants to be with you.

• See above for her continuing attempts to talk, but I'm trying to play it cool right now, because I'm trying not to get my hopes up, and I'm not sure what she's thinking either.

What Guys Said 0