How to mutually break up with pregnant girlfriend?

My girlfriend and I have been together for three years. Two years too long in my opinion. We really don't get along at all and fight constantly about the stupidest things. I am not happy. I know she isn't happy either. She recently discovered she was pregnant and told me if we broke up that she wouldn't want me around and wouldn't want child support. We live together and I'm ready to move on and pretty sure she is too. What's the best way to go about breaking up is a mutal way?

24

Most Helpful Guy

• She pretty much opened the door for you. Just step through it. Regardless of how you might feel about the potential child, it's never a good thing to continue an unwanted relationship. Just tell her you think that the relationship isn't working, and it would be harmful to the three of you if you stayed together. Simple enough. But don't count on the 'child support' thing. She'll probably still come after you when she realizes how much those little sociopaths cost.

• I seriously doubt that she'd try to get child support out of me because it opens the door for me going after custody and more than likely getting it. I wouldn't do it to be vindictive, but if she wants child support then I will be involved in the child's life and for me its all or nothing.

What Girls Said 2

• Well she's openly talked to you about breaking up, yeah? So just bring it up straightforwardly...

• My REAL concern is her temper. We've never been able to communicate about anything because she has an explosive temper. Considering telling her, "Look, we both know this is not going to work so what do you think about parting ways amicably?"

• yeah, I mean that sounds fine. If you wanted to be super gentle about it, you could bring it up in an even more open way--present it as more of a discussion--but what you said sounds fine too, so whatever you think is best.

• Things can always be worked out. Every relationship has its bad days..its a matter of working through it and getting past those hardships, this is when you will be most connected with each other. You need to be there for your child and girlfriend.

What Guys Said 3

• Just food for thought... she might have said that as a test to see if you care at all about your (and her) child.

• She's a bit too blunt for that. Its so unpleasent though. This is a big mess that I don't want to start cleaning up, but it's almost certainly the only way I can move on and find happiness.

• Woah woajh Woah you can't dump this girl she's pregnant you should stay and love your child

• Just bring it up and say you want out. Good luck on the child support thing though. She can change her mind anytime she wants, so 10 years down the road you can get hit up for child support...and 10 years worth of back pay. Happened to my brother.

• I have considered trying to see if she'd sign paperwork that releases me from all of that.

• I'd have it notarized, otherwise a good lawyer will blast it to hell in court.