Why do men cheat on their girlfriends?

i am a very faithful person and just don't understand why men feel the need to cheat. can you explain it to me? I cam up with a list of what comes to my mind.

• Unhappy in relationship
  • Fear commitment
  • Disbelief in monogamy
    Vote C
  • Temptation by other women
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E

1926

Most Helpful Guy

• I forgot to add. To belief of the reason of temptation by other women, is to belef that men are not rational beings and that men are only driven by impulses, just like animals...very misandrist in my opinion. Men are rational beings and we are tempted every day by women, we see attractive women all the time and we think, how we wish to sleep with that girl, but obviously we won't do it because first we have a mind. That mind has a conscience that tell us not to go and have sex with any random that we want because its not socially right and two because it is illegal (rape), unlike animals that when they are in heat, they go for whatever female is on sight. If we are in a relationship and we are NOT HOLDING ANYTHING AGAINST OUR PARTNER we do not have the incentive to cheat, because we know it is wrong, because we know it is going to hurt the other person and we care for that person, that is the last thing we want to do. A man who is happy in a relationship can hold the temptation to not cheat towards his partner, because if that wasn't true then there would be no point in having relationships, as men would just cheat with any women that comes in our sight...we would be without a doubt just like animals, having sex with any female and then walking away.

• clarify what you mean by NOT HOLDING ANYTHING AGAINST OUR PARTNER ?

• life I said if I am happy with you, I don't have anything to hold against you, therefore I am not guilty to cheat on you.

What Guys Said 25

• They've got the same reasons as women. I don't think guys cheat more than girls. Cheating is the product of fail communication and love. To avoid it try to be honest to each other. Tell Bout problems, even those which are might not effect the relation and try to remember how you had loved each other at the beginning. Why it became different? Don't make the other part be, don't know the word: When you do more and more with another guy then your boyfriend may feel it, This may make him to do more with other girls...

• It's not a disbelief in monogamy so much as a disbelief in monogamy with that person. He's just not that into you. Enough so to carry on like he is, but not so much that he can't live without you or move onto the next one. Pretty selfish attitude for sure, and it takes a certain level of damage in my opinion to become cynical and self-centered enough to start disregarding others feelings for your own pleasure/benefit.

I've never cheated, but at times when I'm in a bad mood I could see myself saying screw other people and act selfishly. Feeling a bit screwed over by the world and start saying "I'll just get mine, forget everyone else". It happens.

• Men are not wired to be monogamous, it's that simple. Look around at the animal world...the males fight to be the dominant one, and then when they ARE, they have ALL females as their own.

Even when a man is totally happy in a relationship, he will still be tempted at some point although a good man will not ACT on it.

Hope this helps

• Why do girls cheat on their boyfriends?

• No, I'm gonna have to vote this one up. The same question can be reflected back. I for one don't get why anyone cheats, period. I don't cheat, but I've been cheated on by damn near every girl I ever dated. So for this, I'm kinda annoyed at how frequently it's thought of that men are the only ones.

• I'll change that and say it's pretty equal.

• Its not temptation, its simply because they are not happy in their relationship, women can insult me or put me down as much as they want, but if a guy was truly happy and really loved his girl, would he really cheat on her?..I don't think so.

• yes I know what you mean because just recently my ex boyfriend has tried hooking up with me, and wants to have sex with me because we never did have sex when we were together. We were dating for just 2 or 3 months and I wasn't ready and I am a virgin. Well anyways he has a girlfriend now and he's been dating her for I think close to 2 years but not really sure. I think they are having problems recently and I even said to him" what your girlfriend isn't havin sex with you"?

• The same reasons that women do.

• no one has the right to cheat or betray ,

i think that people cheat / betray and do other stupid things because of fear

fear is a really powerful emotion

whatever , they still are selfish ********* !

• they are unhappy and they are tempted

• i know a guy who has an amasing GF, but he cheats on her all the time and doesn't care one bit. the reason he does it is because he says its really frustrating trying to find a GF, so he keeps her around to have sex with while he works on getting other women in the sack casually.

• insecurity. every other reason you could come up with can be tracked back to insecurity.

some men actually cheat just cause they think the girl's gonna cheat one them so they do it first.

isn't that just f***in sad as f***in f***?

women do the same tho, not just men.

• There's several possibilities, and women do it for the same reason as guys do. I think the top 2 reasons are unhappiness in relationship, and temptation.

• Desire to have sex with more women is probably the main one, though I imagine it's different for different people.

• Why do women cheat on their bf? Studies show women cheat as much as men and likely more (considering they also lie about it better) :\ I don't really like this question insinuating that all men cheat or women don't cheat. Even if it doesn't say that, could at least mention that all men don't (I never did or will) and acknowledge women cheat too... and just as much as men.

As for why? Probably all the reasons for both. And it's disgusting when either gender does it.

• i didn't ask why all men cheat, I asked why men cheat. and well I was just interested in the male aspect so I didn't ask about females.

• It is my understanding that a man without options will not cheat, if only out of necessity.

• i think is out of temptation...

some guys really don't have enough will to hold against the beauty of some women...

nothings wrong with looking but once you start over flirting, touching, and all the other motions

it starts...

• It's not something you have or don't have, or what you do or don't do! It's because he made the choice to cheat. A lot of men love women and associate sex as just that, sex! It has nothing to do with their partners a lot of times when men cheat.

• I would say a combination of A and D. Most just want to stay in the relationship as a sort of "safety net''. And to be fair its not just men that cheat...

• Sure Temptation can be the case but why? Because we aren't happy in the relationship.

• D. I believe women compete for the same, top 10-15% of males.

• men cheat, women break up and date up. it's how things work

men may feel the need to cheat, but look how many divorces and breakups are initiated by women who just feel bored or find better prospects

• According to this: link women cheat too.

• absolutely. in fact the more shady I become and the more open I am about it, the more committed girls I hook up with. I can't take women seriously anymore

• for me, almost all the choices listed. it's not entirely our fault

• the guy is a bitch

• Way I see it, I have a really high drive; so does my girl. But we're also long distance so we can't always be around to satisfy each others' needs. So we remain in a committed relationship, but sleep with others on the side. It's all about the loyalty for me, and the freedom for her. I know it's not what most couples do, but when you've got the real connection then what the hell else matters?

• What you have is an open relationship; it doesn't count as "cheating" because you have both agreed to it.

• "Cheating" basically means "not playing by the rules". In a typical relationship, monogamy is one of the rules. You have changed the rules rather than breaking them. So I would consider it a very different situation indeed. You may be having sex wih other people, but it's not WRONG in this case- "cheating" is by definition wrong.

• This is true, but to give perspective think about this: Had I the resources and were it legal, then I would marry multiple women; I can think of many wonderful women that I would like to marry, and many of them are beautiful not just in body but personality as well. I settle for general monogamy (with obvious exceptions) with my favorite because it's what we've agreed on and that all that my resources can afford.

• Any or all of the options available.

Also, humans didn't actually evolve in monogamous relationships. We're actually a polygamous species by nature, like most. So guys naturally want to have sex with as many women as possible. It's not entirely their fault. However, it is their fault if they don't have self-control.

• It's in a man's best interest to have sex with lots of women. But it's in a woman's best interest to be monogamous. So that's partly true. But clearly we are a monogamous species by nature in SOME sense.

• @Answerer

Not really. Just because we are men, does not mean that we should sleep around with as many girls as possible. True, we have more hormones than girls but that does not mean that we must be out of control.

• @internet user

No duh, that's what I said. Did you not read until the end of my post?

• I say its because she has something you don't or does something that you dont...or she is more attractive than you or she is better in bed than you

What Girls Said 19

• I think it's because they think they can get away with it.

I once heard this "men will only do what they feel they can get away with" and I think this is true. If a man knew he couldn't get away with sleeping with another chick he wouldn't do it.

I don't believe it's because he's not happy with the relationship or not getting enough sex or doesn't believe in monogamy or fearful of commitment...because if that were the case then divorce!

It's something more than that. It's a lack of self control and diminished moral character or psychological problems, like trust issues.

• Well, I think the "common sense" answer is D, but I say it's D *and* A. If you're truly in love with someone, you're not going to be tempted by other people. At least not enough to actually do anything about it. You don't even necessarily have to be "unhappy"; it's just a matter of... are you content with your partner or are you head-over-heels in love with them? I think many people don't know what true love is, so they're surprised when they get cheated on because, often, everything seemed "fine." In my opinion, it should be better than just "fine."

• Women also cheat. Whether or not it tends to be for the same reasons, I don't know. I feel like the reasons would be slightly different. But maybe I'm wrong.

I think D is a pathetic reason for cheating... If I was EVER, hypothetically, going to cheat, it would be because of A. (In reality I would end the relationship before it got to that point though.) And if a guy doesn't believe in monogamy, MAYBE he shouldn't be trying to make a monogamous relationship work.

• SOME MEN

(1) Some men Love to let the little head lead they big head.

(2) Some men just don't know when the have a good woman in their life.

(3) Some men just think that it is in their nature to try to please more than one woman.

(4) Some of the to use ratio - like, there is one man to every 10 women and the already down have enough of us to go around. So friend this list can go on and on, please do beat your self up to much about this because don't care what we does the will still do it.

THE JUST CAN'T HELP THEM SELF.

• The opportunity presents itself and they may have other feelings towards themselves or the relationship so they take up the chance to cheat.

Sexually?Opportunity presents itself. Any guy will cheat when this occurs.

Emotionally? Sometimes it just happens. It's usually never planned, probably begins as a friendship and by the time you realize what you're doing you're already in deep.

Both are equally inexcusable

• They cheat because they can. Some medical journals would say they are hardwired to do so. That they are hunters and meant to procreate. I think it is a convenient excuse. In your poll you mentioned 4 different reasons. I voted for "other" - as I would have said "all of the above."

• People cheat because of either they are unsatisfied in the relationship (unhappy), or they are greedy people.

• Men cheat because of the temptation, end of story. And there are tons of chicks who will use that temptation to try and steal your man. I don't really blame the man, he's just doing what comes natural. I blame these girls who will stab you in the back and grab what's yours if you give them the slightest opportunity.

• d:) great question!

• Because they are pathetic losers who cannot man up enough to end their current relationship & then start a new one, like they should. Instead, they don't give a flying fig who they hurt in order to get their jollies. They are in fact, the biggest losers. I hope there is karma for them.

• Women cheat as much as men, you know.

• I'll take that as a no.

Actually I found a study that says 90% of women cheat and only 70% of men!

• Of course you did, you can find anything you want to find. But good, legit studies show otherwise. I won't debate the facts with you because you want to believe that women cheat more. That's what YOU want to believe. To bad for you.

• both A and D.

• ALL OF THE ABOVE!

• If I had to guess it would be A unhappy in relationship and D tempted by other women

• Mostly the cause is either C or A but I think C is stronger.

• they are afraid to be alone/ and sometimes they see girls that look better than the one the have and they know they have a chance to get with that girl. so the try it. test there limits to see if the get caught. or sex just sucks/

• It can be a little bit of everything...cause if it would only be temptation for other women...well fine, but they have a choice. You can never be to sure, besides...they're not the only ones, men do things like we do sometimes, no big difference. but they have something we don't, is that they think with the other head instead of the important one...but oh wells...

• The fact that temptation (D) is winning makes me rather sad... :(

• yeah, ca its like other females play an active role in comvincing them to cheat and lacking bounderies and it like the men lack self control

• cheaters are a different species than real MEN (or women). theyre just more interested in sex than a genuine love story/romance. I think they end up alone as they age and will never be happy. they probably lose a great girl (or guy) through their wrong choices in life.

• Cheaters are cheaters like that. They don't need a trigger or an excuse to cheat. It's in their blood.