Are there really guys who really just want to be friends with all their ex's?

I'm not talking about guys who want to keep ex's around for safety nets or for sex but I'm more wondering about whether there are guys who really do like to keep all their ex's as platonic friends?

In my case, my ex still keeps in contact a couple of times a year with his ex girlfriend before me. And now, 3 months after our breakup, he is contacting me again just to chat randomly and ask for news. I'm just not sure if that's his style to stay in touch or if it is because there is still a chance for us to be together.

Does it make a difference if I'm the one at fault? The breakup was because I lied and betrayed his trust (no I didn't cheat). I was surprised he's contacting me at all but he has not shown any interest in getting back together with me so I was confused if he really just wants to be friends or is being polite or subtly giving me a chance to make it up to him.
3
1