Girl insists she just wants me to be happy and wants to help my dating someone else... but does she really?

Anonymous
I care a great deal for this girl. She's always been sweet to me but she's also going through a rough patch and has been trying to cope in poor ways. She'd been with a guy for a year and a half before he broke things off with her out of the blue and was dating another girl not even a week later. She didn't take this well.

We met about 4 months after that happened. We instantly hit things off, drank a bit, and a mutual friend, knowing we both had bad breakups wing manned both of us and we ended up hooking up. We became friends with benefits, and became extremely close, not even in just a physical sense. We were doing literally everything together for a good two months straight.

And then she realized I was falling for her, realized she cared for me a great deal but simply couldn't handle dating right now, and told me we had to be just friends. It took her two weeks of being alone again to turn to drinking, and then she started messaging me to come over and 'hang out' at one am. I, still not over her and tired of her doing this after the 3rd time told her she either had to stop talking to me entirely or date me. She told me she hated this choice but would leave me alone, she felt terrible and didn't want to lead me on any further and only wanted me to be happy.

4 months later now I run into this girl again at a bar. She instantly comes straight to me, hugs me, tells me she's missed me terribly and asks if I'd be OK catching up. A few drinks later she's clinging on to me crying telling me she's so glad I'm talking to her again, she's wanted to talk to me pretty much every day since then but hasn't because she doesn't want to hurt me. She tried kissing me and at first I was too shocked to stop her but eventually I got her attention and brought up something rather important...

I've missed her a lot too... but just started dating someone else. After I told her this she looked like I hit her, she hugged me tight and told me she's only ever wanted me to be happy, she loves me but knows she couldn't handle dating even now, she's going to regret it later but until then she wants to help me with this girl (whom I admit dating has been a bit weird with) and go back to being friends again.

I asked her straight up if she's really OK with this, I felt awkward even bringing up the fact I was dating someone. I'm thinking she still REALLY wishes I was still with her and wouldn't be terribly upset if things went south and suddenly I was available again.

Should I be picking things back up with her right now?
1
1