How do you deal with an ex who's sleeping around a ton?

We were each others' first serious relationship, I lost my virginity to him, and so on. We had a really good relationship for a long time, but he got caught up with the college scene by his friends, started being shady with texts and such. I caught on to this and we started arguing a lot because I didn't trust him anymore. He kept saying he was ready to take the next step and made things better so I stuck around, and then one day we were arguing and he just decided he wanted to end it.

I was very hurt, but quickly realized that I was the honest, loyal one in the relationship, so this was a better decision for my happiness as well. However, it's been a month, and he's quickly hooked up with a few girls (that I know of). One of which he made out with just a day after we ended. He seems to be going insane with the partying and sex, while I haven't even kissed a guy yet. But he keeps texting me now! He even called to talk and tell me how he was so lucky to have me, how I was his ideal woman for marriage, how he'd never met anyone he was as attracted to or as compatible with, and he just wishes he weren't in college when he met me. He said he was still in love with me and always would be. And that when time had past for both of us to heal, he planned to come back after me because he knows he'll never find a better woman to spend the rest of his life with, that he'll end up "settling." I don't know if he was hinting at getting back together right that second, but I told him it was the right decision we broke up because he was being disloyal to me.

Even on spring break when I know he screwed another girl, he texted later that night really drunk to tell me how much he missed me and wanted to hang out when he got back home. What is the deal? Is he just making stuff up? If he really loved me still, he wouldn't be sleeping around would he? I know guys can separate emotion from sex but I just don't get what's going on.
2
2