He broke up with me so why does he keep calling?

We had a great relationship for 6 months. We got along great and seemed to be made for each other. He always told me he loved me a lot. He made plans for us to go on vacation the end of the year. He took me on a great vacation Easter weekend. He had me meet his friends and parents and was affectionate in public. We lived 3 hrs apart but saw each other every weekend or every other. I usually made the drive to his house because he and his daughter played on a baseball team. I didn't mind. He bought me a few expensive gifts including putting me on his 2 year cell phone contract. Then the last 3 weeks of our relationship I noticed him calling less. Not wanting to get together as often. When we were together everything seemed fine. He wasn't quite as loving but I figured he was tired because he works graveyard shift. But he got more distant. He had only been divorced 6 mths so I asked him if he got into a relationship too soon. He always said his ex wasn't a problem at all and she didn't seem to be. Finally I asked him if we were still together and he said not really. Then when I asked him if he loved me he said he cared for me a lot. He said he loved me but not in love with me. I was not his girlfriend. He did not want any relationship right now. So were all his I love you's a lie? And why does he still call everyday? He chased me hard so I would meet him.i remember how he would hold me and look at me. He talked about marrying me more than once. So what the heck? Was it all a lie? Is he just scared of being hurt again? Did he fall out of live with me in a week? And why does he still call and should I answer his calls? Yes I love him and want him back. My heart is broken. I too have been very hurt in relationships. But I thought he was different. I thought he was the one. I thought he knew I was the one that wouldn't hurt him too. Advice please. Oh and our best friends ate married to each other and that's how we met. We knew each other when young and he had crush on me but I don't remember him. So he really wanted to get together with me when he found out I was single.
He broke up with me so why does he keep calling?
Add Opinion