Should I break up with him over this?

We have been together for a year but in the last few months I have noticed that I am the one who initiates contact the majority of the time. It's about 85% of the time. I am not needy and only contact him every other day or longer. I usually have to leave messages and he returns them about 50% of the time and if he doesn't return the call I won't call him again. I'm not playing games, I just take it as a hint that he doesn't want to talk to me. The only time he initiates contact is when he hasn't heard from me in a week or longer. Admittedly, I am very busy and don't have much time for a relationship and he knows that and says he accepts that but if I can make time for him once a week and a quick 2 minute phone call to say "hi" once every few days. Why is it so hard for him. I assume he has lost interest and is too afraid there will be drama if he breaks up with me but then he calls me after a week or two and wants to hang out and cuddle, he always wants to take me out to dinner and a movie or to his parents for dinner and "show me off" as he puts it. He doesn't really try too hard for sex, though loves it if I initiate so I don't think he is calling just for sex. He doesn't seem like the type he seems content to cuddle too, and he doesn't seem like the type to cheat either. I have had my fair share of cheaters and I don't see any of the signs with him. He has also been cheated on and screwed over by his exes so he knows how it feels.

When we are together things are great. He keeps telling me how much he missed me and wants to spend more time with me. He is so cuddly and caring and generous. If I get stranded somewhere he will drop everything to come pick me up, granted it's only happened twice but he offers without hesitation.

I am so confused because I am getting mixed signals. I have tried talking to him about it and he says he doesn't realize it has been so long and he will try harder but it never changes. I am I crazy or is he screwing me over.
+1 y
I have decided to break up with him. Not over this. This is just what got me thinking. There is sooooooo much more and we would never last in the long run. So why prolong the inevitable?

I realize there is no such thing as a perfect relationship and I definitely don't believe in 'the one' but there is just way too much going on here to keep up the facade any more.
Should I break up with him over this?
1
2