Am I being unreasonable about his ex gf?

So I have a new boyfriend. I'm really happy with him, and we are still in the honeymoon stage. The only thing that kind of bothers me is that he and his ex girlfriend are basically best friends. They were friends first for a really long time. Then they dated, broke up, and remained friends. She now has a different boyfriend, and he has been with me. They broke up a while ago. However, they still hang out and she makes him dinner and stuff. He said their relationship was brief and they are just better as friends.

I have been on every possible side of this situation before, and hands down, it has always gotten complicated.

I really don't mind if he hangs with girls, because I have lots of guy friends. However, I never dated them, and the ones I did date, I only see out in groups of people, never one on one.

I just feel super uncomfortable. Our relationship is fairly new and I don't want to start a fight, or try to break up his friendships. I don't know what to do.
I guess my main concern is that SHE ended the relationship. If she didn't, they could possibly still be together. She cooks him dinner and they "hang out" but it almost seems like dates. And her boyfriend is studying abroad in Ireland.

27

Most Helpful Guy

• You're in a tough position but you need to realize this...Your feeling is entirely based on your own insecurity. Your dude has done nothing wrong and neither has the ex. They are friends and you get into a slippery slope when you start passing judgement and trying to hand out rulings on a significant others' friends especially when they have done nothing wrong.

If the girl was a bad influence, untrustworthy, made passes at your dude, or gave you any legitimate reason to feel threatened then you may have an argument to present to him but your fear is based solely in your own insecurity (which every person male or female deals with in relationships).

I think you best bet is to try and be understanding, patient and accepting. Be happy that your dude has platonic female friends and can even be friends with a person after dating. It's better than the alternative in which he has no female friends and no female ex's because he has done something so bad they want nothing to do with him...

I know it's hard but you should try and be accepting and understanding of the situation. Most people do not react well when you start trying to control who is in their life particularly when the person in question has done nothing wrong

• i would never tell him to not hang out with her. I am not controlling like that. but the fact is, she dumped him. not the other way around. and then she went and got a new boyfriend. he didn't really have much say. however, they hang all the time and they do cutesy stuff together. Idk, I am just worried he still has feelings

• I think just try to be strong and understanding. It's natural to be insecure about it but just trust him. Try to befriend the ex girlfriend and maybe you'll understand their relationship a little bit better and probably feel less threatened... it's fair and understandable to be a bit insecure about it but just rise above it and trust your dude and the relationship the two of you have