Is an Ex ever worth it?

I hate the on-again-off-again thing, but hasn't there ever been an ex you always just seem to get back with in the end?

It's been two years since I last talked to that ex and now out of the blue he's trying to get in contact again. Anytime we talk we end up getting back together and I don't know if I can handle that again.

In anyone's experience, has there ever been a happy ending with an ex? Or once it's over the first time, there's no hope?

We first met while I was with someone else. Then about a week later the person I was dating at the time broke up with me and I was upset and he was there to comfort me the entire time. We had such a great relationship when we were just friends, then everything changed when we started dating... We started to fight more and break up and get back together constantly. We had a lot of bad times but all I can remember were the good times...

I'm looking for someone to tell me we could work through it, but I need someone to tell me it's not worth it.

02