What changed between this generation and our parents

Soo what's changed? My parents are old folk, and in their day divorce, casual sex, and pre-marital children were rare and generally frowned upon. Now, it's common as can be. Divorce in young people seems more common than them staying together 5 years, kids in HS becoming pregnant is common, etc. What all changed? Do ya think music/tv/the media really has had that much of an affect on us? I don't buy into it being just "times have changed", there's way more to it than that imo

68

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I'm in my 50s now. Not sure if that really qualifies me to know the reasons other than I've lived through the changes and seen our society before and after. Yes, there is a definite and quite visible change in society.

There are probably hundreds of reasons combined. I think it's a general decline and liberalization in values. That's pretty broad though.

I think the decline of religion has played a major role. The idea of always placing blame anywhere other than ourselves plays a big role. Lack of discipline in school and at home plays a role.

I think there was a lot of good things happen in the 60s and 70s. It was a major social revolution, maybe the largest in history to take place in such a short period of time. But aside from the good there was also a lot of bad that came out of it. I don't know any way to describe it other than saying it was a loss of innocence.

Yes, I do think television has played a big role, but not as big a role as some of the other things. I don't think music had much affect though.

I think TV contributed to that loss of innocence, especially in regards to the Vietnam War.

By the late 70s TV started raising our children. Some of the "social consciousness" bled into children's programming. It wasn't enough to use TV only for entertainment. It had to teach something. So we put the teaching of morals and values in the hands of writers for children's programs.

The revolution of the 60s was total. By that I mean that we didn't just protest and reject what we saw as wrong. We rejected EVERYTHING from the past. We rejected our parents values, their religion, their music, their idols, their attitude. We rejected it all. Then by the late 70s-early 80s we tried to piece things back together, and didn't do a very good job of it. The drugs stayed around. The loss of innocence stayed around (can you ever regain innocence once lost?). The idea of "if it feels good do it" stayed around.

Going to church got replaced by smoking 10 joints a day, going to 5+ big parties a week, flipping the bird at cops, and telling any older adult who didn't like it to fk off.

I could probably go on for hundreds of pages, but I'm tired so I'll just stop. I'll leave it with one question though. Is our society better now or worse? I don't know the answer, except that it's some of both.

• so true. Never to old or to young to learn from your seniors. Best Answer here

• Another issue besides plain ignorance is the lack of morals and values in today's generation. Sometimes it even shows in the teen's parents! I am 16 and I must say, I can't stand this generation of teens. I honestly think we have failed our elders. Leaders of tomorrow? Give me a break!