What changed between this generation and our parents

Soo what's changed? My parents are old folk, and in their day divorce, casual sex, and pre-marital children were rare and generally frowned upon. Now, it's common as can be. Divorce in young people seems more common than them staying together 5 years, kids in HS becoming pregnant is common, etc. What all changed? Do ya think music/tv/the media really has had that much of an affect on us? I don't buy into it being just "times have changed", there's way more to it than that imo

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I'm in my 50s now. Not sure if that really qualifies me to know the reasons other than I've lived through the changes and seen our society before and after. Yes, there is a definite and quite visible change in society.

There are probably hundreds of reasons combined. I think it's a general decline and liberalization in values. That's pretty broad though.

I think the decline of religion has played a major role. The idea of always placing blame anywhere other than ourselves plays a big role. Lack of discipline in school and at home plays a role.

I think there was a lot of good things happen in the 60s and 70s. It was a major social revolution, maybe the largest in history to take place in such a short period of time. But aside from the good there was also a lot of bad that came out of it. I don't know any way to describe it other than saying it was a loss of innocence.

Yes, I do think television has played a big role, but not as big a role as some of the other things. I don't think music had much affect though.

I think TV contributed to that loss of innocence, especially in regards to the Vietnam War.

By the late 70s TV started raising our children. Some of the "social consciousness" bled into children's programming. It wasn't enough to use TV only for entertainment. It had to teach something. So we put the teaching of morals and values in the hands of writers for children's programs.

The revolution of the 60s was total. By that I mean that we didn't just protest and reject what we saw as wrong. We rejected EVERYTHING from the past. We rejected our parents values, their religion, their music, their idols, their attitude. We rejected it all. Then by the late 70s-early 80s we tried to piece things back together, and didn't do a very good job of it. The drugs stayed around. The loss of innocence stayed around (can you ever regain innocence once lost?). The idea of "if it feels good do it" stayed around.

Going to church got replaced by smoking 10 joints a day, going to 5+ big parties a week, flipping the bird at cops, and telling any older adult who didn't like it to fk off.

I could probably go on for hundreds of pages, but I'm tired so I'll just stop. I'll leave it with one question though. Is our society better now or worse? I don't know the answer, except that it's some of both.

1|3
    0|0
    • so true. Never to old or to young to learn from your seniors. Best Answer here

• Another issue besides plain ignorance is the lack of morals and values in today's generation. Sometimes it even shows in the teen's parents! I am 16 and I must say, I can't stand this generation of teens. I honestly think we have failed our elders. Leaders of tomorrow? Give me a break!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• I am 40 and nothing has changed except that now it's all put out there on tv. Kids were getting pregnant in high school in the 80's and 90's I know because I was in high school then and I saw it with my own eyes but it wasn't put on TV and made to look cool. People were getting divorces just as much as it seems now but you didn't see it plastered all over the magazine racks in at the check out in the grocery store. That is the only difference I see. I grew up in a middle class neighborhood so it's not like where I grew up was an exception because everyone else I talk to around my age says the same thing once I point out the fact that they are just looking back with nostalgia and then they start to remember all the friends with divorced parents and all the girls getting knocked up or knocking up girls. One of my friends now knocked up his girlfriend in high school and a couple others were girls who had kids in high school. I met them in the 10 years or so and we grew up in different areas or even cities and towns so it appears to be the same everywhere.

0|0
    0|0
  • Seems like it's gotten even worse since I was a kid. It's like things get socially accepted that never used to be and every year more and more things that wouldn't have been are. I remember when I was a kid, if the phone rang, we weren't allowed to answer it during dinner. Now, everyone has their cell phones with them at the table when I visit my moms, and they are texting during dinner and no one cares. I'm 26, so that was just ten years ago when we had those rules.

0|0
    0|0
  • What has changed is that people have become more ignorant saying that old school stuff is boring and we're in a new era. Just because we are in a new era doesn't mean people have to change to become worse. Now-a-days when someone meets another person and they have fun the first day, they immediately think it's "the one" and right away start mating or start living together later to find out there's really nothing in common other than their lust. The pressure to be like the rest also affects, it's like now-a-days nobody has a mind of their own to make their own decisions no matter what others think.

0|0
    0|0
  • nothing much, they weren't better at relationships, they covered more things up and had more pressure to stay in sh*tty situations out of fear of being shunned by society.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm still a young girl, born in the 90s, but I tend to be old fashioned.

I believe sticking by my parents values which I have been raised on is the best way for me to live in this crazy world. That doesn't mean I decided to stop my brain from thinking and developing, but I would never cut my roots and morals.

I tend to agree with DanAG & dreamtime.

The reasons are simply:

1- The decline of religion.

2- No appreciation for the family unity and the elders.

3- Technology (ipad, iphone.. etc) although it has good effects, but it has a lot of harm effects. For example, it made kids nowadays unsatisfied unless their parents buy them everything, and even when they do, once they see their friends have a device they don't have, they wouldn't be satisfied. They spend hours in front of computers and other devices and sometimes without any parental surveillance.. neglecting their social life, which contributed in making them less emotional, less appreciative to their families and friends.

4- TV and p*rnography.

5- Parents and schools started concentrating on education more than building the morals, and teaching kids life lessons.

and many other reasons, I can write a book out of them..

1|0
    0|0
  • Morals and values

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• Another side of things.

QA said: "kids in HS becoming pregnant is common"

I don't know how common, but consider the following.

Some of my first online forum experience more than 20 years ago was an old site dedicated to the adoption "triad" (adopted children, adoptive parents, and biological parents). There are a lot of women who are now in their 50s, 60s, 70s+ who can testify what happened to pregnant girls back in the "old days".

She was pulled from school by her parents. Her suitcase was packed and she was sent away to a home for bad girls who got pregnant. She was abandoned by her family to wait out her pregnancy afraid and alone, with caretakers who couldn't care less about the stupid "slut" who went and got herself pregnant.

When the day came to deliver she gave birth with no love, no one there to hold her hand, no husband, boyfriend, mother, father, sister, no one. She was all alone. When the baby was delivered and she held out her arms to hold her baby, all she saw was the back of the nurse running out the door with her baby - she never even got to see it, never got to hold it, never got to nurse it.

She was sent home still in tears. Her family pretended like nothing happened. She was shunned and she better keep their mouth shut. It was too embarrassing to the family to have a slut for a daughter. All the girl could do was cry alone in her room, cry for the baby she loved but was never allowed to hold. And now decades later she's in her 50s, 60s, 70s+ and she still misses her baby. She still sees the back of that nurse, whisking her baby out of the room.

That was a cruel world in many ways. There was both good and bad in the "old ways".

So now? We no longer whisk those "bad girls" away and hide them from neighbors and friends. They are more visible now. I only know of one girl who got pregnant when I was in high school. But how many were whisked away and none of us knew about it?

Those girls are no longer shunned by society, at least not to the degree they used to be. Without being shunned, there is a certain amount of acceptance that comes with it. With that acceptance comes more pregnancies.

So which is better? The old way? The new way?

More social freedoms allow for more social mistakes. The hard part is finding the right balance between harsh social taboos and total disregard for personal responsibility.

0|0
    0|0
  • Technology, media and such didn't help with this but I don't think they are the big reason here. They've aided, sure but they aren't the main culprit.

The reason its like this is because back in those days, the moms stayed at home to raise their children. These days how many mothers actually stay at home for household & raising kids? Most couples need to have 2 working people to provide for their family.

Additionally, religion isn't as certain anymore as it was back then. There used to be a certain sense of shame for people who weren't religious, now its normal or at the very least common to not believe in god.

I'm not religous so I'm OK with casual sex, pregnancy in high school and such on the other hand bother me as well, it shouldn't happen and I blame the parents and the way they raise their children, clear and simple.

1|0
    0|0
    • didn't think about the religion aspect but now that you've mentioned it I think that's exactly what it is.

• I don't know, but I wish everyone today was a bit more old fashion.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nothing changed, just the media, technology, and the environment where we've grown up.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think we lost our morals and family values.

1|1
    0|0
  • The Sexual Revolution and the Feminist Movement changed all that. Also, church is majority women, so it bows to women divorcing for no valid reason, etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • The media in forms of movies, TV, magazines, music ,certainly has had a big impact. Among other things

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes