Abuse Of Trust, Miscarriage Of Justice?

Quite often I have read stories regarding men or women who either cheat or have been cheated on by their partner. In many instances it was with a close friend or associate. Sometimes it spells the end of the relationship. Other times the offender is forgiven.

The decision to cheat in some cases is mutual (both parties know it's an affair) To forgive is subjective but I am curious to why in some of these situations only the partner is forgiven but the person they cheated with is not? Since both parties are participants, shouldn't they both be equally at fault?

As I close this question, I would like to say that of course, there's no right or wrong answer, but it is something that kind of makes you think.

I feel that if the cheater with the significant other is a close family friend or acquaintance, then I would be inclined to forgive both in time. Would my significant other still be my significant other? Definitely not. Will the acquaintance still be an acquaintance? Again, definitely not, but for closure, I would still forgive them.
I would sever all possible ties with the significant other and all ties with the associate, not because of anger or being non forgiving, but because of the lack of trust they created by their actions. I can't forget the incident because I will always remember aspects of what happened as identifiers in effort to try and prevent myself from going through something like that again.

42

Most Helpful Girl

• They are both equally at fault but the cheated on is closer to the cheater than the cheated with in the vast majority of these situations. That makes the cheater the primary offender.

There are two ways this can go:

1) The person the cheater cheated with was a stranger or acquaintance to their partner. In this scenario, the stranger or acquaintance probably didn't care much about the cheater's current partner. They just wanted to be with the cheater due to their own feelings toward that person.

2) The person the cheater cheated with was a friend, relative, associate, or otherwise close to the person who was cheated on. In this scenario, not only did they act out of love for the cheater, they also knowingly acted out of malice to the original partner. They probably would say to themselves that they don't want to cause harm to the person that's being cheated on, but their actions call bullsh*t.

So it really depends on how the cheated on feels betrayed by both people in the cheating couple, but the person who was cheated on is more likely to feel more betrayed by their partner than their partner's slut.