He's moving to the other side of the world ! What do I do ?

My boyfriend has just told me that he is thinking of moving to Australia in a few months ! We have never discussed this and he just suddenly said it but is serious about it ! I am heartbroken just writing this and thinking about it ! I can't go with him as I am in the middle of university ! He says it will be OK and we can still be in a relationship ? !, He is expecting me to wait 2 years and then join him ! My head is in a spin and I don't know how I am supposed to accept this ! Could a relationship survive this ? We are in a LDR anyway ! I am 2 hours away but we see each other at weekends and that is hard enough ! How can it survive when he is on another continent and a 24 hour flight away ? I am left feeling bewildered by it all and thinking this is the end of our relationship ! Am I right ? I don't know if I should break up with him to suffer the pain now before he goes away , I would never give him an ultimatum but the shock of this has me so confused ! Can you please help X

13

Most Helpful Guy

• If I was in your shoes, I would just end the relationship now, neither of you will be able to wait 2 years maybe more. Its best too be heart broken and suffer now, but in time you will move on, and find someone else.

Your doing the right thing in not giving him an ultimatum, because if he really does love you, he reconsider and would stay until you finish university and then go off together too Australia.

• he probably does love you, but he probably feels he is not getting very far with his life in the country he is staying now. I am sure it was a difficult position for him. sometimes you have too move for better opportunities in life.

• you just have to do what's best for both of you. If something he wants to do, and you want to go on a different path to him, then its time too move on, as much is it is hard for both you. That's life, you just have to say to yourself, this relationship obviously wasn't meant to be. Life has a funny of dealing your card, some get a good hand early on life, and some get it much later on. you just have to be patient, and be positive.

• my parents were in the exactly the same position as you when they were a couple, my dad had too move south africa for a better job, my mum stayed in england, and she came over a couple months later. she actually wrote to him, I haven't from you, don't you love me anymore, and he said, come over. and she did. and they are still together 30 years later. it can happen, it just depends on the individuals.