How long does it take you to deal with a break-up?

This guy and I loved each other but we broke up for a stupid reason. At first I was in shock, then mad, then sad a tiny bit but I honestly got over it in a few days. I don't know how though, because if I loved him why do I not feel bad? We had our lives planned out and while almost everything I do reminds me of him I don't feel bad or upset anymore. All the other times we would break up I'd be so upset and fix things but now I don't care anymore. I don't understand why I'm not upset. Has this ever happened to you?
  • A day
  • A week
  • A month
    Vote C
  • A year
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E

137

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the relationship. I dated a girl for only 6 months but we really loved each other. Took me a good year before I was "over it", however you never truly get over break ups. They of course have life lasting effects on you.

You obviously can't forget about the person entirely or the memories you had, bad or good. Every relationship become a part of you and influences your opinions about future dates of both what you want and don't want.

So this girl I dated and broke up with 3 years ago. Did I love her?...yeah. Do I think about her from time to time?...yeah. Do I get upset thinking about her though?...No. Do I still want to date her?...no.

What ends up happening once you really get involved with dating as a teen, is dating becomes like a drug. When you break up, you experience the withdrawals. You no longer have someone to have sex with, to cuddle with, to talk to, to be your emotional support, etc. What you truly long for is another fix of the love drug. What you truly long for after you've gotten over the initial stage of grief isn't that person back, but a relationship that is as good if not better than what you had.