Should people who cheat on their spouses go to jail?

I know some couples don't have a problem bringing in another person. I am not talking about that. This question is more about would YOU be willing to go to jail for cheating, and sign a legal contract saying that your partner could send you to jail, if if was proved you cheated.

It seems like if people were serious about wanting a monogamous relationship, that they would have no problem with going to jail for cheating on their wives/husbands. The law would be fair, since it applies to both people.

I would think anyone that would be against that, is already planning on cheating.

• Yes, Either my partner or myself should go to jail if one of us were to cheat..
    Vote A
  • No. cheating on your spouse should not send someone to jail.
    Vote B
  • Other. I will submit my opinion.
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Marriage is a legal contract. You break a legal contract, then you should be punished under the law is someway. Maybe not jail, but punished under the law in some way. Honestly I think this poll and the answers given are a good representation for the percentage of people that actually cheat.

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• actually from where I'm from anyone guilty of adultery and concubinage will be sent to jail. I'm fine with it :)

0|2
    1|3
    • I knew divorce was illegal in the Philippines, but I didn't know adultery was. I just figured since they couldn't get divorced everyone just cheated on each other after the relationship went bad. I guess this way it forces people to try and work out there differences. Instead of just "pretending" that you are married to someone else. I learned something new today. Thanks for the response. :)

• Show All
    • @TheGodEmperorLeto yes it is considered a crime in my country. :)

@7gnat where did you get such idea that it's not enforced unless political? and what part on my answer sucks? the part when I said that anyone guilty will be imprisoned or the part when I said I'm fine with it? because obviously I haven't said much about my answer.

• @update: I agree that there should be some sort of punishment, from criminal case make it to civil case at least.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 7

• Cheating is morally wrong, but its not physically hurting someone or committing a crime.

I think it would be overboard to throw someone in jail that's doing what everyone does in life(by all means I am not referring to cheating).

But making mistakes.

Life is a stepping ladder and if people make mistakes that are morally wrong well that's a part of living and learning.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think if you are legally married and cheat, you should be punished somehow,but not jail. That is too harsh.

0|1
    0|0
  • no. the point of jail time is to pay your debt for harming society as a whole (That's what a crime is essentially). While cheating is immoral and hurtful, it isn't a public harm. it's a private harm, between you and your significant other.

0|1
    1|0
    • A man beating his wife, is between the man and his wife. It doesn't harm society as a whole. It however is, and should be, illegal. So hurting society as a whole, is not the prerequisite for making something illegal. I know the two are not exactly the same thing. Just pointing out that a personal matter is a good enough reason to make something illegal.

• Show All
    • exactly! taking away physical liberty and safety is a MUCH greater harm than cheating. emotional damage and physical are not the same! if you have such severe emotional distress from cheating, sue your spouse. doesn't mean jailtime.

• So wait, Confucius16, if a man beating only his wife harms society because she's a part of society, than the emotional/mental trauma cheating can and does cause a man/woman would be the same reasoning wouldn't it? They're still a part of society.

I don't think that reasoning is enough.

• No. You can't make a personal problem (infidelity) criminal just because it hurts your feelings.

0|1
    0|0
  • i would cheat on my boyfriend/husband while in jail. No point in waiting

0|0
    0|2
    • and no people shouldn't go to jail for cheating

• different cases have different reasons and results. therefore each needs its own different management. I would be offended if my guy kissed another girl, but to send him to jail for that? not a good choice. he only kissed her. I would be mad at him, but I wouldn't incarcerate him.

you can't give a shoplifter who stole a tinned fish the same punishment as an armed robber. although they both did the same, they took away something doesn't belong to them.

0|0
    0|1
    • And yet we see people who rob petty cash from a store going to jail for 30+years while businessmen/wall street executives who steal billions get a slap on the wrist...

• There are a lot of things you should go to jail for but cheating is not one of them.

0|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 15

• Jail? No. Branded with a letter A? Sure!

Tbh I really don't know. I do think their infidelity should be made public knowledge and easily accessible knowledge for everyone so that cheaters are known easily and quickly to be cheaters. Let the cheaters only be with other cheaters imo.

0|1
    0|3
    • 3 cheaters are mad they would be made known they're cheating bitches/a**holes.

So f*** those 3 people.

• No, I just think its unnecessary and seems more like vengeance over hurt feelings than anything else

For me I don't really see a difference between a person that wants to have sex with other people but hasn't yet and asks for a divorce compared to someone who cheats in the relationship,

they're still a jerk but the first person was just honest about it

0|1
    0|0
  • What in this "legal contract" prohibits a no good cheating piece of sh*t from screwing around?

Morally it's wrong. But it is not an act that demands imprisonment. Maybe in 1348 (random date) it happened. But the world is a little more civilized now.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes, people were in the heat of the moment, and they almost don't have the power to resist so they end up cheating. Others are borne because of money reasons.

So cheating will not constitute enough of going to a jail.

0|0
    1|2
  • [laughs]

It's bad enough that marriage has to be lawfully recognized, never mind getting the State involved thereafter. I'd rather share a bed with my wife, not the State.

0|1
    0|1
    • The answer isn't to involve the State *MORE* in marriage. It's disgusting enough that it is a legal issue in the first place.

• I say go 16th century on there ass and have them put in stocks in a public center and have people throw rotten tomatoes at them.

0|1
    0|1
  • They should create a special detention center or CWO for people who cheat lol. That'll teach em to cheat again.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. Because if we started throwing people in prison for their sexual 'sins,' in this country, just about everyone would be in jail.

0|0
    0|0
    • This isn't about sexual sins. It is about the betrayal of someone you have a "legal contract" with. If you aren't married you could have sex with anyone you want.

• Cheating is not a crime. It's not against the law. So, no.

0|0
    0|0
    • That is not what I asked.

• Adultery is a felony.

1|0
    0|1
    • I heard that a long time ago, but didn't think it was true, because I have never heard of it being enforced before.

• I'm sure you can get it enforced if you really wanted to, it's a law.

• Oh yes. . Send them to solitary confinement

0|1
    0|0
  • That would be against the Constition in the United States, which I am from. Excessive punishments aren't allowed, as in the punishment is more excessive than the crime deserves.

Cheating is wrong, but I wouldn't want to be afraid of cheating happening because a law was in place to prevent it. If my significant other didn't care about me anymore, I would want to be told. Then she wouldn't have to resort to cheating to get her way. If we really wanted to be honest to each other, we would be honest. Cheating wouldn't even be considered.

0|0
    0|0
    • Cruel and unusual punishments are not allowed. Excessive punishments happen every day, and are not considered unconstitutional.

• Yeah, that is true. Does the Constitution ban excessive punishment, or just cruel and unusual punishment? I'm not that good at history.

• Not sure if it was you that asked this before but NO. What an awful precedent this would set. Next we prosecute people for having immoral thoughts? Who polices them police? Who polices the police that police the police? This is a ridiculous notion. We can NOT litigate morality thus morality would be an even more grey area.

1|0
    2|1
    • I have never asked this question before. All law is, is the litigation of morality.

• Show All
    • If you sign a legal contract or not. That is the whole point of a contract being legally binding after all. The law binds you to your word. Otherwise it is not a legally binding contract.

• Ok your'e right. Bye

• "This question is more about would YOU be willing to go to jail for cheating, and sign a legal contract saying that your partner could send you to jail, if if was proved you cheated."

I wouldn't have a problem doing this, no.

But then, I'm not ever going to cheat, so it's sort of a pointless gesture, in my perspective.

From a rational standpoint, no, I don't think it should be a jailable offense, and many couples have different views on what, exactly, constitutes "cheating" anyway.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yes that is what my question is about. I wasn't sure if I had made myself clear or not. I am glad you understood.

• "Marriage is a legal contract. You break a legal contract, then you should be punished under the law is someway."

Well, in some ways, you are. A person who cheats generally isn't entitled to the things they normally would be under the law, such as split assets. If you can show evidence of infidelity, things like alimony that might normally be granted to you in divorce can be dismissed.

• i answered B. IMO the last thing we need in the country I live in (US) is for another reason for someone to be wrongfully imprisoned. Your last sentence makes it sound like you are already close-minded on this and aren't willing to listen to what another persons opinion is. Hopefully, I'm wrong. If one could go to jail for cheating, would it only be for marriage, or do normal relationships count as well? Because if it was just getting married (which is what I am assuming you are referring too) where the cheating would be illegal, then anyone that is planning on cheating would just date people and choose not to get married in the first place. Now, I already don't plan on getting married and in all honesty, if it was illegal to cheat on your spouse it would actually end up making me lean more towards wanting to get married. I still don't think I would want to get married since I'm not religious and the only reason (as of right now) to get married would be for legal reasons. Like if I or my wife were to die then one of us would be able to inherit anything left behind. So, to me, the only reason I would get married would be for legal reasons, since I don't feel that I need to get married to someone to prove that I love them. I can live with them for the rest of my life without ever having to get married.

In theory, making it illegal sounds like a good idea, and it may work in some countries such as the Philippines, but with the way our "justice" system works in America, I don't believe that it'll be practical.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes