What's your opinion on (non-abuse-motivated) divorce?

Question inspired by this article: www.elephantjournal.com/2013/03/why-everyone-should-get-divorced-before-marriage-alyssa-royse/

The divorce rate in the US is currently over 50%, the highest in the world (Source: link ). A majority of those cases contain no evidence of spousal/child abuse. What is your opinion on those people who get divorced for NON-ABUSE-related reasons? Examples:

"I'm just not happy."

"I'm tired of him/her."

"The magic's gone."

"We just don't get along the way we used to?"

"My feelings have changed."

"We fight all the time/don't agree on anything."

Bonus Question: Does the presence of children matter?

28

Most Helpful Guy

• There are no good statistics on divorce in the United States. We actually don't keep track of that sort of thing. Only a few places in the United States keep track and we use those as an average for the whole country. Also you have to realize that statistic can be made to look like anything. Imagine if you get married and one of you die in a freak accident a week later. Does that mean you had a successful marriage? There are elderly women that remarry and have their new husband die soon after. A premature death does not mean it was a successful marriage. In today's world if you are married to someone longer than 15 years before getting a divorce, many people will still consider that a successful marriage. So anyone creating those statistics can pretty much do whatever they want with them, depending on what their personal standards are.

The high number of divorces for stupid reasons just shows that marriage has no meaning in today's world. It is suppose to be a commitment, but how can it be a commitment when you just walk away because of boredom?

Research has shown whoever thinks they will get custody of the children, is the one that will file for divorce. That is why more women file for divorce than men. If there are no children men are just as likely to file for divorce as women. So children do play a part in the decision.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • link

One could also use personal experience as an indicator. For example, how many Generation Y people do you know that have parents who are still married?

• I don't either, but that still falls under a very morbid category of choice. Anyway, that's an extreme case, not the norm. You really think there's enough spouses killed on a daily basis to tip the balance that much (over 50%)? All the divorced people/parents I know personally (which make up a majority of the (once) married people I know) are still alive.

The point is, that there's more people choosing to end marriages than maintain them.

• I agree. My point was that the number of people that end them can be manipulated, to show anything. As for my personal opinion, I believe that far more than 50% of marriages will eventually fail. Then if you include cohabitation (which is basically undocumented marriage, and catching on) the numbers would be even higher.