Do I take a step back? he still has feelings for his ex.

i've been talking to/ dating this guy for about 3 months now. everything was very good at the beginning, but now it's become evident that he still really has feelings for his ex. they went out like 4 1/2 years together and broke up like a year and a half ago. he told me the other day though ( he was venting to me) about how he's caught himself thinking about her alot, and texting her the other day. and I know he likes me and stuff. but I just don't know what to do. I don't want to get hurt. but, I feel like if I take a step back and give him space I may lose him and I don't want that. he says he'd never get back with her because of what happened, but I don't even know. I just don't know how to come at this situation. how I should be reacting. I just dunno.

30

Most Helpful Girl

• I would just be alert and keep your wits about you. Maybe backing up a bit would be OK, just keep your guard up (around your heart), you know? Keep some distance. He won't get over her faster just because you're in his space. He really needs time alone to do that, but it's been a year and half so really, he should almost be there. My guy was not really over his ex when we met. He talked a lot about her right away, and I could tell he was still hurt and looked a little wistful when speaking of her, like he still missed her. To be honest, he probably would have continued to chase her if we hadn't met, but, we did. :) Knowing how he felt about her, didn't bother me right away. It only bothered me once I was in love with him, and she tried to contact him 8 months into our relationship. I became incredibly insecure about her, because I knew how important she had been to him. He completely ignored her though, a week later we were engaged and he just told me yesterday that I am the love of his life :-) If I'd not dated him because I thought he wasn't over the ex, we wouldn't be where we are today.