What makes a guy stay with a girl that has cheated on him?

I have this guy friend that is in a relationship with his baby mama and she cheated on him in the past. The bad thing is that we have started to develop feelings for each other and there are times that he acts like he wants to be with me. I just want some insight on why he stays with his baby mama when he talks about not being happy with her.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• That happens because people who have been cheated on sometimes are drawn to the same situations over and over again. People sometimes don't learn their lessons. What caused the cheaters to cheat in the first place may have a chance of causing them to cheat in the first place. That being said, you can't assume that you know everything about the circumstances of the cheating. He may not have told you everything. It could have been an accident. Sometimes one thing leads to another, and then before anyone knows it, cheating happens.

He talks about not being happy with her because he is venting. Of course sometimes he won't be happy with her, but that does not mean that you can take his feelings that you think means that he "wants to be with you" as signs that he wants to be with you. Just because it looks that way does not mean you can be in a relationship with him.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• As hurt as he may be from his baby mama cheating on him, he might just be a glutton for punishment. I know that's horrible but you see it everyday. You should try and be happy maybe he will be inspired.

0|0
    0|0
  • The most obvious thing is: she is the mother of his child. Lots of guys will put up with a LOT of stuff and still stick around because they put their child's needs over their own.

But G GTom is also right: it's often a sign of weakness, especially if it's happened more than once. Many people are drawn to chaos, and it constantly pulls them back in, over and over. He may not be happy with her, but until he DOES something about it, like dumps her and builds a life of his own, then you MUST NOT be foolish enough to "mess around" with him, because he'll just be using you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because he's weak. Too afraid to let go. Though, I'm glad he's keeping her. Once less scumbag land mine to deal with out in the dating world.

0|0
    0|0
  • It seems that your guy friend is just using you for hookup reasons.

You better stay away from him.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Because he has a child with her. Unfortunately even if you two get together you need to be prepared for him leaving you for her... It happens all the time.

0|0
    0|0
  • THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME SITUATION I HAVE RIGHT NOW... This guy friend to me, we started out as "siblings" when he already has a girlfriend that cheated on him T W I C E. He gradually fell for me and confessed but continued staying on with her. I asked him why and he told me he never felt love (he had a broken family) in his whole life, (at that point I felt like he was just desperate for hugs and kisses), that's why he never wanted to end it. He also mentioned that his girl was very vulnerable, if he left, she'd get cheated by many boys. Hope this helped !

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, they have a child together. He must care for her deeply.

And he's a pushover, doormat. Maybe he has low self-esteem and doesn't feel he deserves someone better. It could be a lot of things.

0|0
    0|0
    • Well they have actually split a year ago due to her cheating, then they hooked up and she got pregnant again. He didn't know if the baby was his so he decided to stay until the baby was born. He told me that if the baby was not his then he wanted to be with me. Baby turned out to be his so now he decided to stay with her.

• It's good that he wants to take responsibility for his children, but he sounds a bit like a chump. People shouldn't put up with nonsense like that.

You're better off not being with him. He has way too much baggage/drama and he'll probably always keep going back to her.

Recommended myTakes