Ex is friend zoning me! Help!

My ex and I were friends, and he had a HUGE crush on me before asking me out. We broke up 9 months later because he felt too young for something so serious. He basically got scared because he's 23, still in school, and never had a serious relationship. We have been broken up for like 5 months now. I had to see him at school everyday after the break up. But now we are all doing independent projects, so we only have to see each other once a week.

At least once a month, he confronts me to really try and work on a friendship. It frustrates me! I keep telling him that I can't be friends with an ex! He doesn't really accept that. He thinks just because he has no feelings left, that I should be over it too! every time he has these friendship "talks", it makes me sad for the rest of the day because I still love and miss him! He basically thinks that we got along so well in a relationship, and since he can't handle a relationship, might as well have a friendship (he doesn't want me out of his life!)

How do I stop him from thinking of me just as a platonic friend. I know in my heart that we got along amazingly well! I want us to keep things open for the future. Why is he doing this? What should I do?

01