Heart broken but can't express it.

My relationship was confusing so f you want to understand it better you can read about it in another question of mine but pretty much my boyfriend and I called it quits. I'm really really sad inside but can't convey it. Or let it out. How can I start getting over this? He got me through a lot of really crappy things and treated me better than any man in my life. I broke up with my ex because he became a jerk but this is different. Advice appreciated.

09

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm sorry to hear that. I know from previous interactions that you are a very passionate person, and felt quite strongly about him, so I'm sure you're probably in a very down place right now.

But, there is an upside. I know it may not seem that way and maybe you don't even believe it exists right now, but it does. I certainly know how that feels. Every time I felt that heart ache, it was very hard to see the other side of the equation, even when I knew it was true.

You two weren't a good fit and it didn't work out. That is bound to happen and it is always going to suck, especially when you genuinely care about the person. But eventually you're going to move on, realize there's something even better out there waiting for you, and everything is going to be alright. This probably seems unlikely or impossible right now, but if it didn't, it wouldn't be heart break.

I can recall the times I thought that this person was it. Fearing that I was never going to come as close to something meaningful as I did with that person. That I had reached that relationship peak. That irreplaceable connection that will never be replicated, never recreated. I couldn't imagine anything better and I think that's pretty normal, especially the first few times I went through it at a young age.

But of course, I was wrong. I hadn't reached that "peak" and the new connections I could potentially make was only limited by my own desire or lack thereof to do so. Yes, you aren't going to replicate what you had with that guy, but you're not supposed to. Things didn't work out, you're supposed to learn from it and go find something better. The fact there is something better waiting for you out there is proven by the simple fact this didn't work out. With the billions of people out there in the world, the reality is there is likely not just one but MANY people out there who you will fit with amazingly. Then there will be exponentially many more who you will work out with really well, a few minor kinks but nothing a little communication won't overcome, things still work out wonderfully. Then there's a group larger STILL that will work well, though you'll have some struggles, but things will work out with effort.

This guy you're with, he falls in some category below all three of those (since things didn't work out and you weren't a good fit). So if you thought things were wonderful with this guy, you haven't seen anything yet.

In life, bad things happen. Sad reality. Good things though, they come in the form of opportunity. The difference between a rich life of the ups and downs or a life of nothing but trying times is well, you. So don't be sad, your future is too bright.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I'm not one to believe that I can't find another person but I know he won't stay for good. My relationships with every person I've known have been nomadic. Not one person stays for long. Yes, that includes my mother and father.

• I get why you'd feel that way, but it's not going to do anything but leave you feeling alone. Sometimes you have to fly in the face of what you feel and think.

• Maybe someday I will but I can't right now. I don't really even feel like thinking about it honestly