Unintentional or on purpose backhanded compliment?

After a 3 month break up where he dated a younger woman, ( I dumped him after 6 years)'since we have been back together he is consistently telling me he loves me so much and that even though there are younger, prettier, people with more money...he chooses me. It's worth saying that I am not old, not fat, not broke and quite attractive. Also he says he loves me even though I am bitchy..often. Making me of course feel like a bitch. Is this on purpose?

21

Most Helpful Girl

• Im sure it wasn't on purpose. my Boyfriend did a similar thing. (I have very low self esteem by the way) I didn't want to take of my shirt at the beach when we went in the water because I was wearing a bikini top then he said, "sure there's plenty of girls here prettier then you but there's even more girls here not as pretty as you" I let it slide because I know he didn't mean it that way. now I nicely call him on it and let him know how it sounds and he immediatly goes oh sh*t and tries to explain it differently. he's at the point know where he realizes on his on he's being a derp