How long does it typically take for a girl to get over their ex?

How long does it typically take for a girl to get over their ex completely as in not only feelings for the guy but all emotions involving that guy(sadness, anger, resentment, or any other emotion that could occur from a break up).

I noticed in my last relationship that even though she said she had no feelings for her ex she would recycle the same thoughts to me almost daily. Even though I knew she'd never go back and was always talking bad about her exes she'd still bring up the same bad situations over and over again and complain about them to me even though the situations she'd mention happened months ago. To me, that's not being over an ex and I feel the fact that she's repeat the same conversations about these exes to me meant that something was very wrong with her.

51

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends. If an ex has done something extraordinarily bad, you might never get completely over it. Whilst you get over the ex, you may not get over the things he has done and hence you might feel the need to talk about them.

For example, my most recent ex reported me to the police for no reason at all. We were friends, a year had passed since the break up, and he was adamant he wanted to see me soon. We lived in different countries. A couple of weeks after he said that, he disappeared; simply didn't respond to anything anymore. I sent him emails and text messages since I was, at first, genuinely worried something had happened to him, and then I was angry and sad. Then I found out he was seeing someone else and I sent him one last email saying he could've told me that and not just ignored me. Four days or so later I heard from the police that he reported me because I'd been sending him unwanted messages... . See, I am over him. I don't even hate him. I'm glad he's gone because who wants someone like that in their life. But that thing with the police and the fact he just ignored me...that will be on my mind for a very long time because it's a pretty f***ed up thing to do. So if I ever get involved with a new guy, I will surely bring it up once in a while. Doesn't mean I'm not over him.

ANYWAY:

For me, it generally takes way too long to get over an ex. At least a year. But then I have a really hard time moving on and practicing no contact so it's my own fault that these things get dragged on and on.