Is it possible to move out, work, and go to school?

I am having trouble at home (live with parents) and I really want to move out. However, I have no job because I go to school full time.

Now, I'm not sure if I can move out, find roommates, and a job to pay for rent, and go to school. My friend does that, but he only takes two classes per semester :/

At home, my dad hit me because he found out that I've been in a relationship and my parents are Indian and want me to not date at all (they believe in arranged marriages). I'm 21 years old though and I feel like they have no right to forbid me to see my boyfriend OR hit me.

64

Most Helpful Girl

• Everything you said is completely correct- they don't have any right to hit you or forbid you from seeing your boyfriend. They also have no right to dictate your love life at all.

My suggestion is try and find a job first, any simple entry-level job, and do it part-time. Save as much of it as you can for a couple of months and when you've got some more saved up move out. You can find apartments with roommates, or college accommodation. It won't be glamorous or as comfortable as living in a family home, but it will be worth it.

If you're doing a very intense college course, such as engineering or medecine perhaps, you would probably be better off staying at home because of their comfort. If your college programme isn't as intense, I'm sure you will be fine to work part-time and study. Remember you can usually organise your hours to put more of them on weekends or days with less classes. I'm not sure about the US, but here in Europe most students do work part time and study.

Until you are capable of moving out, I suggest you be "diplomatic" so to speak, around your parents. Be tactful. Try to remain distant enough so as not to get any more personal details that would bring up arguments spilled around them, but at the same time polite and dutiful enough that they can't pick on you or get angry at you for being distant or "rebellious".

Before you leave, if you do end up being able to, as another user suggested, you could then calmy and tactfully explain your reasons for doing so and your own feelings on your need for independance etc. I'm not sure, but maybe I wouldn't bother doing it too long before you move or if you don't end up being able to move at all, because chances are they probably won't listen to you anyway and may just become more unbearable.

Best of luck with everything :]