I want to be friends with my ex, what to do?

This is in relation to my previous question. It has been 3 weeks since I broke up with my boyfriend. I am not really mad at him, and it just didn't really work out between us, so I still want us to be friends. We work in a same office and he keeps on ignoring all my attempts to talk to him. I hate to see him so grumpy and quiet during the whole shift. I don't talk about us with our colleagues so they are trying to ask me what has been happening between us. They've seen us through our entire relationship for more than 2yrs. I sensed that maybe he is not really ready to talk about it yet so I stayed away for more than a week. I tried to talk to him again today and he still ignores me. I asked him if he could remove my photo as his profile pic because I don't want to hope that he still has feelings for me and the possibility of us getting back together. He did change his profile pic but he still ignores me. He does not answer my texts, calls, he doesn't even respond when I send him private messages in the office. Why is he doing this to me? How shall I respond to his behavior?
I got a message from him. He is not mad and he just needs time to be alone to think. I'm just relieved to know that he is not mad at me. :)

19

Most Helpful Guy

• sigh...When will women figure out that you can't have a consolation prize. When you date someone, there is no going back. You either continue to date, or you no longer exist in each others lives.

I think women want and enjoy this sort of arrangement for a few reasons. 1) It relieves them of the guilt that many women suffer from, that is inherent in their gender due to the increased level of empathy women are programmed to have for people. 2) she can still fulfill a lot of her desired even with a guy who is just a friend. She can have an emotional connectiong/support, security, a companion for activities and events, etc. The key being the emotional connection that is still able to remain even outside of a relationship.

Guys on the other hand are more sexual. The emotional stimulation isn't as much a driving factor as the sexual things are and by sexual I don't just mean intercourse. We want to be physically close to you, to touch you (i.e. holding hands, cuddling, kissing, sex etc,) and to feel that female affection. The problem is non of this can be had through a friendship. It's really the same reason guy either want to date you or have nothing to do with you. We don't like being friends with girls, simply because we don't get the same value as women do out of a simply friendship.

When a girl asks a guy to be friends after a relationship, its like giving a child a toy to play with, then after it becomes their favorite toy, you take it away and tell them they can no longer play with it, but they can just look at it. Obviously that's such a tease, and so emotionally and physically gut wrenching that its practically unbearable. So as a result, we find that if we can't play with the toy, our best solution is to throw it away, so we're not tempted to play with it, nor does it illicit an emotional response when we see it.

• reality bites.. though I really don't want him to think that I'm teasing him.. we started out as friends, and this whole relationship/break-up thing made me realize that we might be better off as friends.. If he needs time for him to realize things then I'm willing to give him that

• Another thing I should add, is depending on your post break up relationship, some guys might perceive you as playing with their emotions. I've had girls put me on emotional rollercoasters post break up because they would one day be texting me that they missed me, then the next telling me were never getting back together. Obviously this sends mixed signals and toys with your emotions, making it hard to move on.

I just think for guys its hard to downgrade our affection.

• It's hard to go from loving someone to just being friends. Stepping up is easy, stepping down isn't. Quite frankly, I don't know how girls do it.