What to do if he says 'he's not ready for a relationship?'

So there's a guy I like loads, and he says he really likes me too, but recently when things started moving forward I told him I wanted to be in a relationship before we have sex. He said he isn't ready for a relationship because his ex cheated on him with his friend, so he has trust issues and is scared of getting hurt again. What do you think I should do? Some friends said I should move on but I cant, I like him so much. Is there a chance he will come around and change his mind? What can I do to help and show him I can be trusted? Please help :)

39

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think you should move on. Just be friends. It is natural to have trust issues after getting cheated on. So he needs time to feel better. Give it time, and you will have a chance in the future.

p.s. - There doesn't always have to be a decision between staying or moving on. There are things in between, like FRIENDSHIP, which some other guys that answered forgot to mention.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I don't think that this guy that you like is lying. It is normal to get scared of getting hurt. So he is telling the truth contrary to what the anonymous girl said below about him possibly being in a relationship tomorrow.

• right that's fine, but she should not expect him to like her as more than that

• Yeah. I think it is fine as long as their friends. She shouldn't remain hopeful, but if the relationship happened to occur in the future, then all the better for her right? Glad to see you're keeping your cool.