The guy I'm seeing is -really- cheesy/lovey-dovey, should I break it off?

I don't know if that's a good enough reason, but it bugs me. It's like he walked out of a bad chick flick. We've been on five dates so far, but I don't think he's being genuine with me. He was fine in the beginning but now it's becoming too much.

A big example is a few days ago I was at his place for the first time and he put on soft music and said "I love you" in this really over-the-top way, with a rose! Then he told me he fell in love with me the moment he looked into my eyes. FIVE DATES, that's it, and he says that. I said something awkward like "oh, I see, thanks..." and changed the subject asap.

I don't know if I'm being ungrateful or over-reacting, but this kind of personality doesn't go well with mine. I'm not a girl into really mushy stuff, and half the things he says I have a hard time believing. It sounds fake, you know?

Also, if I break it off should I tell him why?

Most Helpful Guy

• Sounds like he's inexperienced and trying too hard.

If I were you, I'd tell him "Look, I know life isn't a movie, and I don't want it to be. This kind of stuff you're doing seems like you're taking cues instead of being real with me, and it's seriously putting me off. Treat me like a person that you're interested in, not some actress costarring with you in a badly written romance".

You can either give him another chance after that, if you still feel like you're into him at all, or if you're not, just explain to him why he's getting dropped. Maybe he won't make the same mistake with the next girl.

• I talked to him. He pretty much wasn't taking me seriously and said I'm not romantic like he is (if that's what you call romantic...), but broke up with me before I could - through text no less, because "I couldn't stand to look in your eyes and say goodbye". So that's that lol. Thanks for your advice.

• "I couldn't stand to look in your eyes and say goodbye"

What a drama king. Sheesh.

What Guys Said 2

• I think 5 dates is way too soon to tell someone you love them haha. He sounds like he is going to be that clingy type of guy.

If his behavior already bothers you then break it off before he proposes on the next date :P

• Ask him why. Ask him where he learned to behave like that. Is he doing it purely out of sincerity? If so, that's great but it turns you off because it looks needy and cheesy.

If he's doing it because he thinks it's what he's supposed to do for some dumb reason, tell him to knock it off, and pronto. Tell him act like a man, or take enough time to figure out what that means and get back to you.

What Girls Said 0