How many second chances to give a guy?

The guy I like keeps saying/doing things that upset me. We always make up, but then he backs away for a long time. When he's "ready" he calls and spends the day with me, chatting, apologizing, etc. On the days we're together, he seems fabulous -- exactly the type of guy I'd date, be friends with, etc. For a few days afterward, everything will be fine and we'll be texting and on the phone like teenagers, but then (once he sees I’m not upset with him anymore) he goes back to square one again. The pattern resumes: no communication, partial explanations of things, or a message saying that he’s about to go do something he knows I don’t like (followed by one that he won’t really have time to do it, then silence for days).

What’s confusing is that he’s a really nice guy, and great to be around or to talk to, but then this just keeps happening. I always “turn the other cheek” and forgive him, but I think he’s officially worn out his second chances….

How many second chances should a guy get before I say "enough" and walk away?

45

Most Helpful Girl

• He knows what he's doing. He's manipulating you. He has realized that he can get away with anything, therefore he's just using you as he pleases. Think of yourself as a yo-yo. He's pushing you away - letting you go from his hand. Whenever you say you've had enough, he just snaps his hand back, apologizes, and you're right back in the palm of his hand. Then he just keeps doing this over and over, like playing with a yo-yo, because he knows you'll come right back to him once he snaps his hand back. I say, grab a pair of scissors and cut the string that tugs you back into the palm of his hand. Put your foot down. Say you've had enough for the last time, then walk away for good. He's had tons of chances to prove himself worthy, and yet every time he decides to just throw it away and keep playing with you. He's taking you for granted. Walk away.