Was she hurt in any way at all?

She was my first real girlfriend and the first person I've been in love with. She broke up with me over a phone call once I got back into town to see her. I had a belated birthday present to give her but she wouldn't accept it. It was devastating. That same month we had a class together every weekday. I felt I could bargain my way out of this misery by trying to talk her into getting back with me. This turned her into a cold hearted bitch. We avoided each other the rest of the month. 3 months later she came up to me and looked as if she wanted me to say something. Seeing the face once I fell in love with turned me stone cold; I was still hurt and couldn't pull myself to talk to her.

Is breaking up with someone painful for the person who makes the decision as well as the victim?

10