When do you know that it is time to break up?

My boyfriend and I have been going through a rough patch, maybe. His work has stressed him out to the point where he started smoking again my Dad died of a lung disease and it was this horrible experience, so smoking is a no-go for me. He knows this and he says that he will quit, just not now. Then he rarely contacts me, he says that it is because he is working but he had a day off and he didn't talk to me at all. I just do not understand. When I confronted him he said it was my fault because I could have kept texting him (I texted him good morning). However when we are together we have fun, and then he makes me feel good most of the time.

But sometimes I feel like I'm not a priority anymore. We have been together for a year, do you think this is a rough patch, or time to go out separate ways?

53

Most Helpful Girl

• You need to let him know what you need in order to feel happy (and safe) being with him. Just tell him you want him to contact you more and be more consistent and reliable. And tell him that it really hurts that he still smokes even though your dad passed because of it. Just talk to him about it. If he responds in a nice way and says he's so sorry, he'll work on it, then great. But if there's even more excuses/lies stacked up its time to tell him you need to move on. Or at least distance YOURSELF from him and stop talking to him for a few weeks if you really care about him and don't want to break up yet. A guy who loves you should do what it takes to make you happy!

I dated a guy who made me unhappy and who was as unreliable as they get and it ruined my trust for him. So just let him know how you're feeling and tell him "I really need you to be more reliable." See how he reacts, and go from there. Hopefully things work out! Good luck!