Would You Forgive Your Partner If They Cheated?

If your girlfriend/boyfriend cheated on you and you absolutely know they did, would you forgive them? I personally would not because cheating is one of the WORST things you can do, and people who cheat are horrible people who betray the trust of another person. I'm mostly curious about the men vs. women on this issue. Please explain your answer too.
  • Yes, I'd Forgive Them And Stay With Them
  • No, I'd Break Up With Them

75

Most Helpful Girl

• Cheating isn't a deal-breaker for me- but lying is. If my (hypothetical) boyfriend came to me and told me about it himself, and we could talk about the circumstances and he could say that it was a one-shot deal and not something that was indicative of what I could expect from him in the future, I could let it slide. Sometimes something seems like a really good idea at the time- but then later after you do it, you realize what a horrid idea it actually was. If he were good to me in all other aspects of our relationship, I could feel good about moving on from an incident.

If I had to find out on my own or from someone else, it's done. Also his approach would have a lot of weight, too. If Dude felt bad (I'm assuming if he is my boyfriend I know him well enough to be able to gauge that) and was truly sorry, I could forgive. If he was like "oh, yeah- by the way- I banged so-and-so yesterday.. hahahaha"... then no.

I have cheated on a boyfriend before, and I felt awful. I brought it to him and he was upset and hurt, but he did not sh*tcan me- and I never cheated on him again. We broke up eventually because of other sh*t, but I never forgot how he handled that situation or how grateful I was that he accepted my apology and forgave me. I think were I in that situation- with the roles reversed- that I could handle it like he did. He gave me an excellent template to work off of, and I have never forgotten it.