Why come back after 6/12 yrs, only to leave again? all welcome, but really need a mans opinion here!

My ex husband & childs dad, emailed me 7 months ago after no contact for 6 years & divorced for 12. I was in total shock! I was cautious about talking to him again, but replied out of curiosity. He started emailing constantly saying he got his life together, regretted leaving me everyday since, was a changed man, still loved me & that his goal was to be together again one day. Those were words I'd always wanted to hear from him. Within a month, we were talking on & off ALL day, he traveled to see me as often as possible & great times were had. 4 months in, he started contacting me less & less. A month ago I told him I'd rather end it than keep going this way. He said "no" & would "try harder," but after we only talked when I initiated it. Last week I texted asking him to please give me a proper ending for closure & respect, since it was clear he didn't want me anymore. He said he was asleep & would talk tomorrow, but didn't. A few days later he texted to say happy b'day, but no mention of anything else. 3 days ago I texted saying I'm still waiting on my closure...no reply. 2 days ago I sent my last text saying goodbye forever & sorry it has to end this way..no reply. I've known him 22 years (friends for 5 b4 dating)! Why start this again after 12 years, only to leave again? I gave him several ways out, why didn't he take them? As someone he was married to, a friend, supported his sobriety, the mother of his child & forgave him for the hurt he caused (which he was SO thankful 4), how can he not even send a text saying "peace out?" I'm not some random chick he only dated for awhile. How can he go from "I love u" to completely disappearing so fast? Either I'm missing something or he's a psychopath. Any insight would be appreciated

02