Why did my ex leave when he saw me out?

He and I were together for almost 5 years. I broke up with him 4 months ago and we ran into each other for the first time recently. I don't normally go out around our town or in general, the bar scene isn't really my scene but I went out with a friend for a few drinks he showed up later in the night. I literally almost ran into him and when I realized it was him I asked if he was doing OK, he answered me with kind of an attitude but he said yes and I said good and went to get my drink. When I turned around he was gone. His brother and I spoke for a little while and he told me his brother took the breakup hard. The reason I left him was because he was drinking way too much and cheated on me. It was devastating, I am not completely over it but I am working on it. Anyway, I called my ex and he answered, (we had no contact until this call)I told him I wanted to be OK with each other since we were a big part of each others lives and he responded "I'm happy where I'm at in life, I'm with my girlfriend at home, we don't have anything to talk about".

I sent him a few texts just saying that life is going well for me and I thought we could be cool. He didn't respond. I went back inside and his brother was still inside, he told me to just give him more time and he'll come around. Then when I said, "listen, I understand he has a girlfriend, I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes" his brother told me he didn't have a girlfriend. So first question..why lie? I should also add that he looks very unhappy, he has gained maybe 40lbs in the last 4 months, no haircut and wasn't dressed the way I'm used to seeing him dressed. Without sounding rude..he didn't look good. Second question..was it maybe too soon to make peace? I am a good woman and I gave the relationship my all. I was always honest and would never betray anyone..it's just not my style. On more then a few occasions people that knew him growing up would tell me that my ex turned his life around when we met and that I was really great for him. Just wanted to give a little about what people thought and said about us as a couple. My last question is..why did he leave like that when he saw me? Thanks guys...could use a mans opinion.

11