What would it take to get you to move halfway across the country?

It seems some people never move, and others move far...

What would (did) it take you to move really far?
  • Job
  • Culture
  • Meet Someone
    Vote C
  • To rediscover or reinvent myself
    Vote D
  • I'm an onion. I'm not moving.
    Vote E

1118

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 17

• I moved for work. But I could move for the right girl too.

• I suppose I'd need a good job in a metropolitan areas with many jobs in my career sector, in addition to a good tax structure in the state, and I'd actually have to like the destination location, etc.

As it is now, I live in a pretty affluent area, with people who are culturally similar to me, there is no state sales tax, I don't have to worry about bad weather (minus hurricanes), my family is close by, there are things I enjoy doing here, I feel at home, the biotechnology sector is strong, computer science is stable though could be much or favorable in other markets, etc.

North California offers the career and looks to be a nice place in general, but the cost of living difference is discouraging, the tax structure is horrible, and it's far as hell from my family.

Boston is promising for my career path, but the cost of living is slightly higher, state taxes suck, weather is bad in the winter, but it's not a bad place in the summer. Still relatively far from family but not out of reach.

The Seattle area is also promising for my career path, I've been there, it's not bad. Washington has no state income tax, and they have nice homestead exemptions, and over all the region is pretty nice. The cost of living is similar to what I'm use to so it's an idea. Some of my family members have considered moving out there as well. If I went, I wouldn't be surprised if they followed me. The girls are hotter in South Florida though, so I guess I'd have to snag one and bring her with me. =P

• 1. A life of success, fun and peace

2. My daughter

3. If my daughter didn't exist then someone who I'd love can do that too :)

Apart from the above nothing else will make me move

• A good job and/or meeting someone I really love who loves me and we're getting far more serious or so.

Though if I had unlimited (or a vast excess) of funds, I'd probably just move for the hell of it.

• I would never move from the east coast, and probably never from the South. If I'd ever move, it'd be to the beach.

• Career opportunity and if I was in a really risk taking mood.. I've always wanted to live somewhere on the west coast...

A combination of A and D.

• Probably a good job. I wouldn't move just to meet someone, but I would visit.

• A vast acceleration in global warming

• I'm an onion.

• I moved 1,850 miles because of the weather.

• An hour.

• my girlfriend :))

• A or D. Maybe C if the person was that great.

• The better way of life

• most likely a high paying job.

• Money and good weather mixed with good restaurants and healthcare.

• A job.

Moving to find good employment used to be much more common than it is today, despite the fact that moving is easier today than ever. Go figure...

What Girls Said 11

• Any of A-C depending on my life situation :) I love traveling and have lived in very different places before and have fond memories of those times. Hopefully will do it again in the future! But I always look forward to coming back to my roots though.

• Culture for me. I hate the culture here in the US and I'd love to go to Europe or Australia. I'd move out of here tomorrow if someone else would pay for my flight and set me up until I could get on my feet there. I'm only here still now because I feel kind of stuck at this point.

• High prices on everything I would wanna move somewhere where things are a bit cheaper

• instructions from God himself!

• not a lot, I'm afflicted with wonderlust,

• A , C and D

• I would def move for a better job opportunity. I've done it a number of times in the past for my studies and I'm willing to do it again if I have a chance. ;)

• I'm already in the process of considering this anyway, haha!

I hate where I am and want a fresh start. So it wouldn't really take anything, just life.

I guess D.

• Definitely E

• I would do it now if I could afford it. I have no attachments to my hometown or current location.

• So I guess all of the above if I could afford it, but if I had to choose one answer it would be Job because that would be the biggest reason I would move I guess.

• I'd rather lose a relationship than lose my extended family.