Why do guys talk to you, then act cold and unapproachable, then talk again?

Right there was this guy that I met and we talked a few times, we joked around and I thought this guys okay. Anyway his friend saw us saying hi when we past, and started teasing him and I think he got embarrassed, so he stopped saying hi when he passed me. So I stopped cause I thought I was embarrassing him however even when we were sat studying in the same room and I said "hello" he said "hi"but really grumpy tone to his voice. So I ignored him all together, but after a couple of days he suddenly starts talking too me a lot again, and I'm like okay? But whatever. Our classes got swapped around so we had a class together and he must have looked like 20 times and I smiled at him and he did this funny face back. Anyway since then I have been busy studying we haven't seen each other around that much, he still stares at me which is so obvious like he won't say Hi until I do, instead he walks past looking at me. But he also started ignoring me again when we were studying nearby, I don't understand him.

01