My boyfriend has no interest in going to college or trade school. I'm upset and worried, what do I do?

I am about to graduate college. We have been together for 5 months and are both 23. He started school but stopped because he didn't enjoy it. He is more into hands on stuff, so I suggested trade school and he said that is a lot more likely for him. So he researched schools, said he was going to go back. But all of the sudden he has changed his mind.

So now he's only going to have a hs diploma. The thing that bothers me the most is that he is really smart and a very hard worker. His work gives him tremendous responsibility but will not promote him. I have no faith that management will ever move him up because then they'd lose him to another store who needs him more.

I am torn. College/education is very important to me. Plus, I want to be with a guy who has a good paying job and can support me and our future family. I'm worried he won't be able to get a good paying job, is going to have to work 93498x harder for less money, and he'll have nothing to fall back on if something ever goes wrong.

His options are so much more limited without a degree/training of any kind.

He is perfect in every other way except for this one.

What should I do? I'm really disappointed in him for not going further and living up to his potential. I think part of the problem is that nobody in his family went to college and none of his close friends did. So nobody pushes him except for me and a few other people we know who see the potential in him just wasting away.

Anybody have any advice? I really see this being a problem in the future when I am ready to get married and have children.

33

Most Helpful Guy

• I have a feeling, given his background and his upbringing, he's not going to change, no matter how much you push him. Getting an education and better himself just isn't something he's passionate about and you cannot create passion where this is none. He needs to want this himself.

Most likely you are right and I've seen the same thing myself. People tend to become content with a similar lifestyle that they grew up in. People in poverty stay in poverty, people in the middle class say in the middle class, and the wealthy stay in the upper class. People become accustomed to a lifestyle and will naturally try to simply maintain it. Not everyone is driven to move up.

I realize the rest of this guy is "perfect", but you have to decide if this particular trait is a deal breaker. If it is, then the rest doesn't matter, otherwise it defeats the purpose of what something means to be a deal breaker.

You have to understand that by this point, this guy isn't likely going to make any big changes. He's had plenty of time and chances, as well as great ideas (trade school was a good suggestion). You basically have to decide if you are OK with his current career path or not. If the answer is no, I don't think you have much choice other than to break up with him. It's probably best you also do it sooner than given your age. You'd hate to waste a couple more years with this guy only to realize that he's not marriage material.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Agreed. Don't waste time. This already bother you and I believe by 25 a person brain has been developed. So what you see is really what you get, you know? I met a guy who was lukewarm at 24. He has been like this most of his life and continue to be like that in his future. Accept what you see as what you get.

• It just bothers me that is content with where he is at and not living up to his potential.

• Agree, he wouldn't be the first person who had the potential for greatness but let it go to waste.

Obviously you need to be careful that you don't judge a relationship entirely on money, but at the same time, its not too much to ask to have realistic expectations of his financial security. I'm not sure exactly what he does and how much he makes. Look at this in a broader sense. How will his career choice effect your family as a whole, not just your bank account. Factor all that in.