Help my ex has come back!

Ok long story short. My ex and I were together a year, he got depressed and ended the relationship. I made every mistake a girl could possibly make, calling him for about 2-3weeks after asking him to explain what was going on, the lot. Eventually I found my self respect and moved on and stopped all contact. He replaced me with some new girl after two days of us splitting up. Anyway after three and a half weeks of no contact he got back in touch saying he had been thinking about me whilst on a boys holiday. He was still with this girl at the time. I told him I wanted nothing to do with him especially if he's with someone new. For two weeks he texted and called, tried to reason with me and even dumped this girl. Eventually I gave in. He's told me he still has feelings for me, but doesn't want to get back together, but really wants to be friends. He took me out this week on a surprise day trip (where we used to go on dates) was loving and affectionate. He never once surprised me whilst we were together so why he put so much effort in just to be my frien, I do not know. He told me he still had feelings for me but wanted to move on. The following day he went out on a second date with some new girl. I asked him if he's going to see her again he said yes. I asked him to come round and have told him if he's starting a new relationship , there is no way she will allow him to be friends with me, so I'm going to give him what he wants and remove myself from the situation so that he can move on with her. He said it was only two dates and she's not his girlfriend and this isn't what he wants, but he accepted what I said, gave me a massive kiss and cuddle and left. This was last night. I'm not going to presume to know what's going on or what's going to happen, but could someone please shed some light as to what's going on? I have cut all contact again ie FB deleted his number all contact.

33

Most Helpful Guy

• What on earth is he playing at? Here's my guess. He still basically loves you, wishes things had worked out, but knows they won't/can't for whatever reason. So on the one hand he doesn't want to get back together, but on the other hand he doesn't want to move on and not see you anymore. So he tries to be friends with you, as a sort of compromise. But then this does not work because when he is with you, because of his old feelings, he can't help but make all these efforts that look a LOT like the sort of thing someone who wanted to get back with you would do (like taking you on a surprise trip, telling you he still has feelings you, telling you this new girl is not his girlfriend yet and kissing you before he leaves).