How to deal with your Ex (as of late) who cheated on you?

So two weeks ago up until Wednesday I told my girlfriend that I would be not talking to her much until after the final exams in order to focus on studying. Up until Wednesday I would still send her a text every day asking how she was, and she would eventually end it on "I need to go back to studying."

Last Wednesday I texted that I couldn't wait until finals were over - I missed her. She replies that she has been thinking the past week about what she wanted in a relationship and asked if we can be "just friends." I asked her why she wanted to leave and she said she needed someone who had more experience with dating (she was my first girlfriend). I will admit that I did get upset and I asked that she would talk this over with me, but she didn't, she just kept telling me to stop.

Last Friday I saw her walking out of class with a guy. My heart sank, but I knew not to follow in order to not confirm she was cheating. When I went outside to get to my ride, I saw her across the parking lot. The guy and her were playfully teasing each other and I saw them both turn their heads and stare at me. When I looked back before leaving, I didn't see them, but I saw the car - I think they went inside it.

For the month and a half we've been together, she always seemed to think I was cheating on her. My friend said, usually that means that they are cheating and worried if their partner is as well.

Anyhow, I've gotten over her, but I still want some closure. I realized that when we met, she made the first moves and everything and me, having never had a relationship before, decided to go with despite me thinking she was odd. I want to send her a message explaining that I wasn't a fit for her and vice versa, and that I deserve much better than her. My friends believe that I should show that I don't care at all by not saying anything to her.

My situation is this: Should I try talking to her, although after the break-up she showed no signs of wanting to talk like an adult or should I let this go and not say anything. I'm ready to move on from this, but I'm tied between talking to get closure or just making peace with this and walking away. I want to let her know that she won't be on my mind, because she won't, but I also don't want to give her the satisfaction that talking to her shows I care. She was always a self-centered person, but not talking to her will just make her lie about who I was to others.
EDIT: How do you cope with someone who cheated on you? Did you regret doing what you did?

36

Most Helpful Girl

• Ok, let me see if I have this straight. She broke up with you on Wednesday and you saw her hanging with another guy on Friday. If that is all correct, then I am rather confused. What makes you so sure she was cheating on you while in a relationship? She was hanging out with that guy after you guys had already broken up. Do you know their relationship? Are they friends? Are they dating now? As far as I see, you do not have definitive proof of any wrong doing. She may very well have cheated on you, I would not be able to tell you. Only they would be able to tell you.

As far as talking to her goes, I would not recommend it! She will feel like you are still hung up on her, trying to get back with her, or she will think you are just trying to get back at her by saying that you deserve better than her. The best thing you can possibly do is to treat her... nicely. I know, every instinct in you will be screaming at you to either ignore her or say something to her. Nothing ever gets a person more as when you treat them friendly, like an acquaintance, because if you can truly be nice like that, it shows you harbor no real feelings at all. Every time I've seen it in action, it has worked like a charm! She really will not know how to handle it and may even try to talk with you. This is only if you run into her in person though, don't text, Facebook, or email her. The second best thing to do would be to just ignore her.

Best of luck!

• She mentioned she had a crush on a guy in class before she met me, and she pointed him out - same guy. It should also be known that a month in I found out she met me two weeks after her last break up. Now she is dating a guy two days after her last one. I think I will take the ignore route as mentioned. We have the same class next semester (unless she switched out) so that ought to be fun. Thanks for the advice :) I just wish she'd have given me closure